Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Feb 16, 2004

Hi!
I just did a larger project for a client. When bidding and receiving the project, they did not mention using a CAT-tool. I am new to the tools so I did not use one for this one. Now the client asks me to send the translation memory. This was also not mentioned before. What should I do? I do have Wordfast. Can I put in the texts afterwards? Greatful for a fast answer!

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
German to Portuguese
+ ...
You could... Feb 16, 2004

Hi,
you could use the align function to create a TM....but if you are new to these things you would loose maybe quite some time learning how to do it...which is nothing bad at all, but your client should have told you beforehand...tell him you dont have a TM.

For your own interest you can (if you have the time to do so) get into using Wordfast and then if you want to try to create a TM by aligning.

Natália

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!
I just did a larger project for a client. When bidding and receiving the project, they did not mention using a CAT-tool. I am new to the tools so I did not use one for this one. Now the client asks me to send the translation memory. This was also not mentioned before. What should I do? I do have Wordfast. Can I put in the texts afterwards? Greatful for a fast answer!

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why would you/should you? Feb 16, 2004

If the job specs did not call for the use of a CAT tool, and if you did not use one, I would simply tell the client and leave it at that.

If you have the time, you could offer to align the files for them at an additional charge (hourly works best IMHO). Aligning files into a TM can be quite time-consuming, and it should be subject to separate compensation if the client did not ask at the outset that a CAT tool be used and a TM be created. (Also, I would imagine that they can do the
... See more
If the job specs did not call for the use of a CAT tool, and if you did not use one, I would simply tell the client and leave it at that.

If you have the time, you could offer to align the files for them at an additional charge (hourly works best IMHO). Aligning files into a TM can be quite time-consuming, and it should be subject to separate compensation if the client did not ask at the outset that a CAT tool be used and a TM be created. (Also, I would imagine that they can do the alignment themselves if they really need to have a TM for this.)

In making a decision, you may want to take into consideration how good a client this client is. If it's a client with whom you have a long-standing relationship and from whom you can expect a lot of future work, you might want to offer a preferential price for aligning the files. If, on the other hand, this is a one-time deal, you might be well within your rights to simply point out that no CAT tool was used (since the client had not specified that use of such a tool was required) and that therefore there is no TM.

Just my two cents' worth...
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ulrike has said it all... Feb 17, 2004

Agree fully.

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 19:04
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 18, 2004

Thank you for your input! Confirmed my opinion too. I did try and make one by aligning and it worked well. So thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client asking for TM afterwards

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »