Off topic: Cartoon: Four Conversations that Translators Love - Not!
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 6, 2011

http://blog.csoftintl.com/

[Edited at 2011-01-06 19:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
Italian to English
+ ...
I speak two languages ............................. Jan 6, 2011

Do you now? - this is the one I hear most often, particularly with respect to interpreting. 'I could be an interpreter, I could do what you're doing'. You think? In my case, just some of the things I've found handy: a BA, MA, Metropolitan Police Test, 30 years' experience, the ability to keep your mouth shut when people who should know better try to get info out of you, an iron stomach for some of the things you hear, the capacity to stay calm when you have no info on the case you're about to interpret for, and in your case, let's not ignore the fact that you're not going to have a lot of free time what with visiting wherever they're going to be sending your significant other for the next xxxxxxxxxxxxxx number of years. You could do this because, I see, you speak the language at home, dialect and, half the time, no grammar. Oh, and I should also give you advice so you can compete against me in a fairly small market, of course. Before I'm collectively lynched, I know there are many interpreters from bilingual families but they are fully qualified. Sorry, rant time but really.............

Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Great piece of Translation Humor Feb 1, 2011

I found it quite funny, as we Translator have our right to make our share of "inside jokes".
I identified myself mostly with the first two ones, it is quite annoying but I have learned how to respond to those... provocations, that should be taken lightly and in a cheerful way.
When people see how happy I am with what I am doing they start, they give me compliments and in some cases, it makes them wonder about how "nice" their part-time jobs at restaurants, coffee shops and supermarkets are.
Not everyone can become a translator just because he/she knows a couple of languages, there are some other skills that must come into play. I am the only actual translator in my BA in Translator class and impressed myself at how fast I was and how I was always the first one to finish practical exercises on the computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cartoon: Four Conversations that Translators Love - Not!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search