https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/189056-duplicate_content_offer_discount.html

Duplicate content - offer discount?
Thread poster: Alicja Weikop
Alicja Weikop
Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2011

Dear Translators,

I have received several files for translation over 6,500 words long. The price and deadline were agreed on this knowledge. During my work I discovered that one file is a duplicate of what already exists as a part of another file (some 1,000 words).

Would you offer the customer a discount reflecting the exact amount of duplication - say 1,000 words, or a nominal discount of say 10% or deal with this differently?

I will still take the time
... See more
Dear Translators,

I have received several files for translation over 6,500 words long. The price and deadline were agreed on this knowledge. During my work I discovered that one file is a duplicate of what already exists as a part of another file (some 1,000 words).

Would you offer the customer a discount reflecting the exact amount of duplication - say 1,000 words, or a nominal discount of say 10% or deal with this differently?

I will still take the time to translate the duplicate file (using TM) to make sure there are no discrepancies and I intend to return the same number of files as I received for translation.

This agency does not have a history of demanding that I use a CAT tool or to charge less for fuzzy/exact matches in translation (usually not applicable anyway). Needless to say, I like working with them and want to do the right thing.

Many thanks for your views or past experiences.

Best wishes - Alicja
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Win-win situation Jan 8, 2011

Given that you like working for this company, you could tell them that you have found a lot of similarities, and therefore you proposals to charge them for only 6,000 words. That way you both win.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
50% ? Jan 8, 2011

I think that's what Peter was proposing, too.

Charge zero for the second occurrence of this text and you're losing out as you're going to spend a little time on it. Charge 100% and you may get away with it but if the agency notices they will understandably be peeved and it will destroy the good relationship.

So, 50/50 seems fairest to me, although you could go lower if you feel generous.

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
tell the truth Jan 8, 2011

Explain that you have found a part that is virtually identical and that you will give them a discount on it. Be perfectly clear: you can't do those 1000 words for free because you have spent time checking and making sure there are absolutely no discrepancies.
Split it down the middle = 500 words.
They will appreciate your honesty and, if not, more fool them !

Some time ago, I was asked to translate the same smallish text 3 diferent times by three different departments in
... See more
Explain that you have found a part that is virtually identical and that you will give them a discount on it. Be perfectly clear: you can't do those 1000 words for free because you have spent time checking and making sure there are absolutely no discrepancies.

Some time ago, I was asked to translate the same smallish text 3 diferent times by three different departments in a multinational. I told them and respectfully suggested (very politely) they should get their act together internally. I still work for them very regularly.....
Collapse

Alicja Weikop
Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 8, 2011

Thanks for your replies and advice - I think you are all right and that was my feeling anyway.

Have a nice weekend!

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 09:57
German to English
+ ...
Dishonest not to Jan 8, 2011

I personally feel that it would be dishonest not to give a discount; this has happened to me occasionally and if the texts really are identical I only charge 25% for the second time round (to cover the time spent finding out!)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same over here Jan 8, 2011

David Wright wrote:
I personally feel that it would be dishonest not to give a discount; this has happened to me occasionally and if the texts really are identical I only charge 25% for the second time round (to cover the time spent finding out!)

Yes, same method over here. My customers usually use some CAT and detect these things beforehand, but when they don't, I usually charge 25% in the reused part.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Discount only if you want Jan 8, 2011

Alicja Weikop wrote:
During my work I discovered that one file is a duplicate of what already exists as a part of another file (some 1,000 words). ... Would you offer the customer a discount reflecting the exact amount of duplication - say 1,000 words, or a nominal discount of say 10% or deal with this differently?

In the days before CAT, you'd still have to check the source texts against each other line by line to ensure that both are exactly the same. So from that point of view you'd still have had to do a lot of work. Some people can proofread (compare texts) much faster than they can translate, but some people (like myself) don't proofread much faster than they translate, and the time saving would therefore not be as spectacular.

If the client is unaware of CAT, there is no need to introduce the complexity of CAT to him. Not telling him that you have special ways to increase your speed using technology is not dishonest. There is no compulsion to pass on time savings to your client whenever you find ways to do things faster.

I believe that if the client had wanted a discount for the duplication, he should have told you about the duplication.

In your case I would not feel dishonest about it to charge the client for the full word count.

Keep in mind that the client may not understand why an exact duplication results in a mere 50% discount instead of a 100% discount. You may spend more time explaining that to him than the original time saving is worth. If the client feels that you're ripping him off (when you're money for duplicate work), he may tell you (and then you can explain it to him) or he may not tell you (in which case you might lose a client instead of gaining one). Sometimes it is better to leave sleeping dogs be.

María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with 50% Jan 9, 2011

polyglot45 wrote:

Some time ago, I was asked to translate the same smallish text 3 diferent times by three different departments in a multinational. I told them and respectfully suggested (very politely) they should get their act together internally. I still work for them very regularly.....

Absolutely!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duplicate content - offer discount?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »