Canadian freelancer with contracts from Germany?
Thread poster: avanert
Jan 11, 2011

Hi there,

I am just getting back into freelance translating after working at a company for several years. Next month I move to Canada from Germany. The company I'm working for now full-time would like to keep me on as a consultant translator/editor/writer. Can anyone advise me on taxation when you get contracts from Germany but are paying taxes in Canada?

Thanks!
AVE

Tom Ellett (X)
Tom Ellett (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:13
Norwegian to English
+ ...
No GST on exports Jan 14, 2011

If you are exporting the translations, i.e. delivering them by email to a recipient in Germany, you won't have to charge your client GST (goods and services tax, the Canadian equivalent of VAT). You might, however, find it advantageous to register for GST, even if your annual income is below the threshold for compulsory registration (around $30,000), since that will allow you to reclaim the tax you pay on any business-related purchases.

If you are GST-registered and deliver the tran
... See more
If you are exporting the translations, i.e. delivering them by email to a recipient in Germany, you won't have to charge your client GST (goods and services tax, the Canadian equivalent of VAT). You might, however, find it advantageous to register for GST, even if your annual income is below the threshold for compulsory registration (around $30,000), since that will allow you to reclaim the tax you pay on any business-related purchases.

If you are GST-registered and deliver the translations to a Canadian address (even the Canadian office of a German company), you will have to charge GST (or HST, harmonized sales tax) at the appropriate rate for the province where that address is located.

If you are going to live in Canada for more than 180 days in any one year, then you will be deemed to be tax-resident in Canada for that year and will have to file an income tax return with the Canada Revenue Agency – irrespective of your immigration/visa status in Canada.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Canadian freelancer with contracts from Germany?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »