Ljerka Kovacic Tot  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 21:32
Member (2010)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jan 11, 2011

Hello,

A few days ago I accepted a small translation job from a US based translation company at the price of 20 US$ for an hour's work.
They required delivery of unclean and clean files in Translation Workspace for which a licence was required. I spent time downloading and installing trial version just for that project and to log in I had to use a million character password which didn't work for an hour upon installation.
Ultimatelly, I was unable to clean up the file due to software issues and the client claimed no required changes were visible in the revised text.
Finally, I was asked to review my own file in a review template consisting of 3 Excel worksheets.

Now - as far as I know, this is translation, proofreading and review. Due on the same day? For 20 uS$?
Who are you kidding, guys?

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Jan 11, 2011

Ljerka Kovacic Tot wrote:
They required delivery of unclean and clean files in Translation Workspace for which a licence was required. I spent time downloading and installing trial version just for that project and to log in I had to use a million character password which didn't work for an hour upon installation.

I also struggled the first time I had to use TW... the program just would not log in. I eventually figured out that the various components of the program have to be launched in a specific sequence (I can't remember which) and that I had to remember to punch a hole in my firewall for MS Word.

Ultimatelly, I was unable to clean up the file due to software issues and the client claimed no required changes were visible in the revised text. Finally, I was asked to review my own file in a review template consisting of 3 Excel worksheets.

You were asked to "review" your own text... hmm... perhaps the client hoped that you would make a few changes to your transation during the "review" process so that he can deliver a "translated and reviewed" file to his end-client.

Now - as far as I know, this is translation, proofreading and review. Due on the same day? For 20 uS$? Who are you kidding, guys?

I suppose if you use TW for most jobs, and know how it works, you'll spend time only on the actual translation work and not on struggling with the software.

Ljerka Kovacic Tot  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2010)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM is not an issue Jan 11, 2011

I've used TM for a while now and love it, so I just didn't feel like struggling through the issues with TW, not for a job this small anyway.
The fact I couldn't clean up the file was a TW issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

3 services at the price of 1??

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search