Thread poster: Susana González Tuya

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Local time: 19:35
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 4, 2011

I have received a proposal from an agency to work with them as a freeleancer. They have requested a signed copy of the confidetiality agreement (normal) and a copy of my ID card.
I have never been asked for my ID with other agencies, Is it normal? Should I do it?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
No Feb 4, 2011

Of course not.

What would an uncertified copy of an ID card prove to an agency? Nothing. So there's no legitimate reason to ask for it.

I'd be curious to know what their stated reason for wanting this is.

Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:35
Korean to German
+ ...
Depends Feb 4, 2011

It depends on the coutry. For example, in Korea agencies usually ask for ID so they can file it with their tax report. Most agencies there are not aware that they don't need ID from foreign translators.

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
Probably not Feb 4, 2011

Or at least that MUST give you a legitimate reason to ask for it.
You can tell them that providing a copy of your ID leaves you exposed to identity theft, so you won't do it unless they can prove they have the obligation to require it.

Dhiraj Khati  Identity Verified
Nepal
Local time: 23:20
Member (2009)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Never occured to me Feb 4, 2011

No one asked me for this till date. I don't think it's wise to send ID unless it is utterly needed and you have worked for them for a long time.

Schtroumpf
German to French
+ ...
No never Feb 4, 2011

For my behalf, it has already happened that I faced this demand but I have always refused to give such things away. Without losing the customer at all.

Here in France, you will be asked to leave a copy of your ID card if you are a salaried worker, which is a very different case. As a freelance, what you can and must tell your customer is your officiel registration number (SIRET/URSSAF/VAT n°) for social and tax matters, and nothing else.

Especially you shoud never give such information to perfect strangers.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 14:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Suggestion Feb 4, 2011

If they asking for the copy of your ID card only as means of verifying that it really is you who is signing the NDA, then one solution might be to notarise your signature on the NDA instead.

That way, the client gets what he wants: legal proof of who you are (actually, in a more meaningful form than a mere copy of your ID card); and you get what you want: not sending a copy of your ID card which no doubt contains information extending beyond that which the client can justifiably require to know.

MediaMatrix

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Is it normal for you? Feb 4, 2011

Susana Gonzalez wrote:
I have received a proposal from an agency to work with them as a freeleancer. They have requested a signed copy of the confidetiality agreement (normal) and a copy of my ID card. I have never been asked for my ID with other agencies. Is it normal? Should I do it?

If you apply for a library membership, to join a video/DVD rental club, rent accommodation, hire a car, etc... would you have to show them your ID card and allow them to make a copy of it, or not? If yes, then I don't think you should have a problem sharing a copy of your ID card with a potential client.

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:35
Japanese to English
I don't agree Feb 4, 2011

I don't see why you should. Unless you're going to be meeting the client face to face or working with human beings (as an interpreter, for example), they have no right to demand your ID. What do they need it for, anyway? I'd do like an earlier poster said and ask them to prove they have a need for my ID. If they can't prove it, I'd hold on to my documents.

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought so... Feb 4, 2011

I asked the agency for the reasons behind this and they say they want a proof of who I am and my nationality.
I was thinking of sending just a copy of the front side of my ID which has my name and photo.

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Blur filters... Feb 4, 2011

Susana Gonzalez wrote:

I asked the agency for the reasons behind this and they say they want a proof of who I am and my nationality.
I was thinking of sending just a copy of the front side of my ID which has my name and photo.

If you want to be extra safe, you can distort all meaningful information (use a black bar to hide all numbers or use a blur filter to make them unreadable - most freeware offers such functionality and you don't need any expensive software to do this) except for the nationality and your picture.

Your ID has no business relevance though and if you don't want to hand it out, then don't and insist on your preference. I've been recently asked to provide my passport number "because the accountant needs it" - I told them I'd give them my VAT # because the passport number has no relevance for an accountant, and they were fine with it.
In most cases, the agency just doesn't know any better.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 14:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
And did they explain WHY they need proof of your nationality? Feb 4, 2011

Susana Gonzalez wrote:

There are surely very few circumstances - mostly related to matters of national security, in which case they already know more about you, Susana, than you know about yourself - in which the client needs to know your nationality.

Ah! – Unless it relates to an unwritten policy of xenophobia towards certain sectors of the global community.

BTW, does your ID card actually mention your nationality? Most of those I’ve seen in Europe mention ‘place of birth’ but not ‘nationality’ – except where the holder is a foreign resident in the country that issues the card.

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confidentiality agreement and ID card.

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search