validity of electronic signatures in Italy
Thread poster: NicoleRZ

NicoleRZ  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Italian to English
Feb 12, 2011

OK, so, I need to send a signed document to a small business in Italy (not an agency) and I was considering my options: efax, electronic signature, regular fax, snail mail.

For those of you experienced in this already, what do you recommend? Are electronic signatures valid in Italy? Are faxed signatures valid? I'm not sure at this point if the client has access/ability to print, sign, scan, and email OR do their own electronic signature. I do know snail mail is just that, slow... from this end (USA) to Italy. Is it inappropriate to ask the client to mail the signed document back if I send it via fax or email?

I'm thinking it would probably be less expensive to pay for the fax to Italy than an expedited mail service to Italy, although I do believe it is not quite so expensive for expedited services from Italy to the US. Would it be appropriate to charge for the expense of faxing or mailing from my end?

Whew... thanks for any and all input!
Nicole

Direct link Reply with quote

Graziana M  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
English to Italian
+ ...
snail mail is not necessary Feb 13, 2011

Hi Nicole,

Are electronic signatures valid in Italy? Are faxed signatures valid?

Yes, they are. A simple email can also have legal value in Italy.

I'm not sure at this point if the client has access/ability to print, sign, scan, and email OR do their own electronic signature

I think that if the client has ability to receive your translation via email, they have a computer and probably a printer too. Nowadays, IT equipment is widespread in Italy

Is it inappropriate to ask the client to mail the signed document back if I send it via fax or email?

Sure, you can ask them. I think also the client would like to do it the simpler way.

Would it be appropriate to charge for the expense of faxing or mailing from my end?

Yes, you can charge them, but only if it's a client's demand to be faxed or snail mailed. IMHO
Graziana

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

validity of electronic signatures in Italy

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search