Professional indemnity insurance, across borders
Thread poster: Sonja Marks

Sonja Marks  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
German to English
Mar 4, 2011

I am a British citizen, working physically in France and translating mainly for German agencies (sometimes French, Austrian, UK too). I have been told by a British insurer that they can't cover me because they are restricted to persons working in the UK under UK law. Does anyone have any definite experience of this type of problem and the solution, or any firm legal/insurance knowledge? I need cover that protects me from claims arising in Germany above all (ie. under German law).

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It must have to be where you are based Mar 4, 2011

Hello,

Logically, the only place that makes sense is where you live. I'm British, too, but France is where I work and where my insurer is based. My clients come from both France and the UK but also from India, the US, the Lebanon, ... I hope my French insurance policy will cover me in dealings with all those countries, although I've never tested it and I haven't researched too much as I see it more as a requirement than something I can really rely on. I certainly can't take out insurance in every one of my clients' countries.

HTH

Sheila

Sonja Marks  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:27
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 4, 2011

Thanks Sheila for taking the time to reply. Do you mind my asking how you found your insurance in France? I am having a little trouble.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Normal insurer Mar 4, 2011

I just went to my normal insurance company, where I have my car and house insured. I can't mention them here (already got a smack for that!) but if you send me a PM I'll let you have the name. Mind you, as I say, I can't vouch for its use if push comes to shove as it's quite cheap.

I do know that the SFT arranges it for its members. I daresay that would cover more than mine. The main reason I have it at all is that it is really required by the French authorities.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unnecessary Mar 4, 2011

Every time this subject comes up, I ask, as I do now, whether anyone knows of any documented case where a translator has been sued for professional liability. I have been doing this for years and so far I have seen NO information whatsoever on any such case. Thus it appears to be a non-issue.

Conclusion: Professional liability insurance for translators is unnecessary, and if you're buying it, you're being ripped off.

Professional Indemnity Mar 9, 2011

Hello everyone,

I work for a business insurer and I thought I would just briefly explain the background from a brokers position regarding working abroad and professional indemnity.

When it comes to working for a company or supplying services that are based outside the UK as long as you are based in and registered in the UK, normally you still fall under the UK legal system. If you are registered as a business in France then you would fall under the French legal system.

With regards to professional indemnity (PI) - specifically for translators - more and more companies are starting to ask for this cover as a basis for being offered a contract. It may be rare that a claim is made on PI but when they are made they tend to be for substantial amounts. Bearing in mind the low cost of PI it is an extremely easy way to give yourself peace of mind.

If you have any queries or questions please feel free to send me a direct message.

Kind Regards

Tim

Simply Business

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional indemnity insurance, across borders

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search