Thread poster: Lars Jelking

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:24
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 25, 2011

I did a translation job for an agency. The source was a non searchable PDF, created by a never heard of .dll file (?). The client wanted delivery in the same format, and I made the translation in Adobe Illustrator and created postscript files for all 88 pages (for making it easier to correct/add content would the client so demand).

After delivery the client asked if I could clean the PDF from print marks and reduce the image resolution to facilitate faster download via Internet. I gave my price for this, but the client instead wants my postscript files in order to do the changes himself.

Can he demand to get the postscript files I created?

Grateful for advice

[Edited at 2011-03-25 17:31 GMT]

veratek
Brazil
Local time: 14:24
French to English
+ ...
a question Mar 25, 2011

Lars Jelking wrote:

After delivery the client asked if I could clean the PDF from print marks and reduce the image resolution to facilitate faster download via Internet.

Aren't these just settings you simply set in Illustrator before outputting the PDFs?

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:24
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes veratek, Mar 25, 2011

There is a setting to add printmarks. But the marks were there in the source PDF and the client wanted and "exact lookalike" but now wants to remove the print marks (and reduce the images resolution). This has to be done for each postscript page and image.

My question is about your opinion if to hand the postscript files over to the client or not as the translation task delivery has been fulfilled.

[Edited at 2011-03-25 19:42 GMT]

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:24
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
demand / request / relationship Mar 25, 2011

The client cannot demand them, they can request them, as this file was not part of your job. On the other hand - will it be such a problem if you deliver it to them? And is your business relationship worth it? I think these are the key questions. If you'd like to be on good terms with the client, maybe it's worth sending it to them. As an investment of sorts.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Your job description Mar 25, 2011

Michal Glowacki wrote:

The client cannot demand them, they can request them, as this file was not part of your job. On the other hand - will it be such a problem if you deliver it to them? And is your business relationship worth it? I think these are the key questions. If you'd like to be on good terms with the client, maybe it's worth sending it to them. As an investment of sorts.

As I understand it, you are a translator and you have no expertise in other types of work on documents such as paginating them, cloning their original appearance using various types of software, converting them from one format to another, etc. Neither do I.

I would suggest you stick to what you're in the market for - translating work. If you start doing non-translating things, your client might get the idea that you're willing to do anything for no additional charge, and he'll start sending you these horrible jobs all the time.

If you're not careful he might even ask you to come over and clean his office (for no extra charge).

icon_smile.gif

Nor does he have the right to ask you for any personal stuff you happen to have on your computer.

[Edited at 2011-03-25 20:36 GMT]

Liliana Galiano
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Charge him for the changes Mar 25, 2011

In general I agree with Tom, but it is your translation and, if he changed his mind it is not your fault. And, if he wants you to work further he should pay for it. I don't think you should let him make changes to your finished work.

Regards,

liliana

[Edited at 2011-03-25 21:06 GMT]

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:24
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
It's all up to you. Mar 26, 2011

Unless the contract says so, the client has no right to demand any personal files you have. For all he knows you may have deleted them right after turning in the work.

However if this is a client you value and you think you'll work with them later, just comply. In the future you can specify all deliverables before taking the job, and then you'll be in a stronger position to invoice him for any future demands.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:24
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Mar 26, 2011

Tom in London wrote:
I would suggest you stick to what you're in the market for - translating work. If you start doing non-translating things, your client might get the idea that you're willing to do anything for no additional charge, and he'll start sending you these horrible jobs all the time.

Indeed. It is always good to have technical knowledge and be able to offer the icing on the cake to a translation customer, but offering that knowledge as a service will certainly make you lose time, and on the other hand there are excellent professionals who do that technical work as freelancers.

veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
It's still not clear to me Mar 26, 2011

Apparently everyone else understood something I didn't.

From what I read, I had understood you had imported the original non-searchable PDF's into Illustrator, created your translated text on top of the masked original text, and output each file, now translated, as a PDF.

Then you say the client is asking for the PDFs and you say you don't know if you should give the client the PDFs. So what did you give the client, if they are asking for the PDFs and that's what you said was your output format?

Or do you mean they are asking for your Illustrator files?

If that's the case (original Illustrator files), I agree with Michal:

It seems like they might not have a big budget as well, unless you have asked for a large fee to do the additional modifications the client asked. Otherwise they would have already been happy that you could simply take care of it all for them.

I think a good exercise is to mentally imagine yourself in their shoes.

veratek
Brazil
French to English
+ ...
It all depends on the task Mar 26, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Yes. Just like agencies who offer you horrible PowerPoint jobs, which need a thousand manual tweaks, but which are paid the same fee as for normal text translations. All the time you have to spend formatting the PowerPoints is lost.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
It is always good to have technical knowledge and be able to offer the icing on the cake to a translation customer, but offering that knowledge as a service will certainly make you lose time, and on the other hand there are excellent professionals who do that technical work as freelancers.

I really depends on the task, the time, and the fee. It's a service offer like any other. It just depends if it is worth it.
If you can offer both services at a rate that is convenient for the client, it's much better for them and it makes you more competitive.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client requesting postscript file I created - feedback needed

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search