Use of Trados 2007 vs. Trados Studio 2009 by Translation Agencies
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:30
English to German
Mar 30, 2011

First, I would like to apologize if I chose the wrong forum. If that is the case, please, dear
admins, push this post to the right one. Thank you for that.

Dear all,

Some time ago, I upgraded from Trados 2007 (Freelance) to Trados Studio 2009 (Freelance Plus) and, although I haven't worked with it very often I must admit, I find it really more comfortable than Trados 2007.

Over the last few weeks, I had some translation jobs with agencies. When I asked them if I could do the translation with Studio 2009 they all refused saying they could not process those files.

Now, I would like to know what your experiences with translation agencies are with regard to this
topic. Please share!

Annett


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
Member
English to Estonian
+ ...
1/40 Mar 30, 2011

In my case one out of forty is actively using it and a second one has said that they will want translators to start using it soon.

I actually don't like 2009 that much because creating a project takes too many clicks and with small projects you're just losing time when doing it in 2009 instead of Tageditor+TW.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 08:30
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You can use Studio 2009 anyway Mar 30, 2011

Dear Annett,

As you have found out, and as confirmed by Lennart, unfortunately most agencies seem still to be using Trados 2007. However, you can use Studio 2009 to work on .ttx files and return them in that format, which means that you get the ease of use, and the agencies get the format they require.

You can find instructions here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176830-could_anybody_kindly_explain_how_to_use_trados.html

(see page 3 - the longer of Joel Earnest's posts).

Hope this helps.

Jane


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Mar 30, 2011

Lennart Luhtaru wrote:
In my case one out of forty is actively using it and a second one has said that they will want translators to start using it soon.

Same here.

And, we do work for the agency that sends our SDLXLIFF files: we simply work on them with memoQ, the same we do with TTX files!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:30
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Compatibility Mar 30, 2011

Annett Hieber wrote:
Some time ago, I upgraded from Trados 2007 (Freelance) to Trados Studio 2009 (Freelance Plus) and, although I haven't worked with it very often I must admit, I find it really more comfortable than Trados 2007.
Over the last few weeks, I had some translation jobs with agencies. When I asked them if I could do the translation with Studio 2009 they all refused saying they could not process those files.
Now, I would like to know what your experiences with translation agencies are with regard to this topic. Please share!

T2009 is mostly compatible with T2007 to handle TagEditor files and SDLX files. T2009 may not handle MS Word based translation but its package contains T2007 for you to install at the same time.

After upgrade to T2009 SP2, I am happy it rarely has bugs and it is more stable than T2007. I use it more than my existing T2007 SP2 package. [For some features I still go back to T2007 e.g. translation aligning, TM imports from *.txt files and tab-delimited files, global search/replacement]

Soonthon Lupkitaro


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:30
German to Spanish
Can you preview Mar 30, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:



And, we do work for the agency that sends our SDLXLIFF files: we simply work on them with memoQ, the same we do with TTX files!


SDLXLIFF or TTXs in MemoQ? I don't think so...

The only way to work "easy" is to send back the translated "original" files + a TMX export.

Dear agencies, let me decide which tool or format I want to use!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:30
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed possible Mar 30, 2011

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:



And, we do work for the agency that sends our SDLXLIFF files: we simply work on them with memoQ, the same we do with TTX files!


SDLXLIFF or TTXs in MemoQ? I don't think so...

The only way to work "easy" is to send back the translated "original" files + a TMX export.


It is indeed possible to work on TTX and SDLXLIFF files in MemoQ. Have a try.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:30
German to Spanish
I said Mar 30, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Fernando Toledo wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:



And, we do work for the agency that sends our SDLXLIFF files: we simply work on them with memoQ, the same we do with TTX files!


SDLXLIFF or TTXs in MemoQ? I don't think so...

The only way to work "easy" is to send back the translated "original" files + a TMX export.


It is indeed possible to work on TTX and SDLXLIFF files in MemoQ. Have a try.


Preview, not work.

I like to preview the result during the translation.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:30
English to Czech
+ ...
I see Mar 30, 2011

I didn't notice the heading of your post, Fernando. Yes, you are right, of course.

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of Trados 2007 vs. Trados Studio 2009 by Translation Agencies

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search