Thread poster: golf264

golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 31, 2011

Hello,

I am now starting to require that employers pay me a deposit of the final invoice ahead of time as a token of their promise to pay.

The deposit I am asking for is 200 USD for large-term projects, otherwise 20% of the final costs. Is this too far-fetched and paranoid?

I am only doing this because I receive the standard amount of Nigerian email per week, and the scams appear to be only getting worse and better formulated. I myself was cheated some 3 years back after I had translated a whole book! for someone.

The transaction itself is safe, and I let the deposit be accounted via Paypal. I always let the employer know that they can file a claim for refund with Paypal if they are not satisfied. And therefore they shouldnt really have any reason not to want to pay.

Is this a practice that some you are also employing?

Grateful for your suggestions/experience/advice.

AJ

Direct link Reply with quote

Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 19:28
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Good idea Apr 1, 2011

For e.g for building contractors this is common practice. I tried it before when an agency wanted me to work on a huge semi continuous project. They refused but did agree to invoicing in stages of delivery. I like your idea of using PayPal to this purpose. Another approach is using dedicated Escrow services -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow -- which might be more secure.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to French
+ ...
Not employers Apr 1, 2011

Just for the record, I don't think that "employer" is applicable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requiring an up-front (refundable) deposit for translation services

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search