Thread poster: golf264

golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 31, 2011

Hello,

I am now starting to require that employers pay me a deposit of the final invoice ahead of time as a token of their promise to pay.

The deposit I am asking for is 200 USD for large-term projects, otherwise 20% of the final costs. Is this too far-fetched and paranoid?

I am only doing this because I receive the standard amount of Nigerian email per week, and the scams appear to be only getting worse and better formulated. I myself was cheated some 3 years back after I had translated a whole book! for someone.

The transaction itself is safe, and I let the deposit be accounted via Paypal. I always let the employer know that they can file a claim for refund with Paypal if they are not satisfied. And therefore they shouldnt really have any reason not to want to pay.

Is this a practice that some you are also employing?

Grateful for your suggestions/experience/advice.

AJ

Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 03:51
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
Good idea Apr 1, 2011

For e.g for building contractors this is common practice. I tried it before when an agency wanted me to work on a huge semi continuous project. They refused but did agree to invoicing in stages of delivery. I like your idea of using PayPal to this purpose. Another approach is using dedicated Escrow services -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow -- which might be more secure.

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
English to French
+ ...
Not employers Apr 1, 2011

Just for the record, I don't think that "employer" is applicable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Requiring an up-front (refundable) deposit for translation services

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search