Thread poster: Yaotl Altan

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2011

Have you ever used Google Ads to advertise your translation services? What do you think about this Internet advertising?

Kind regards!

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:43
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've used it once Apr 5, 2011

Hi

Last week I got offered a free $80 credit on Google Ads so I figured I would give it a spin.

I set up and add campaign and paid a maximum of $0.25 per ad (which was the suggestion from Google Ads), so that meant my ad was going to show a minimum of 320 times.

In the end it showed up 25,469 times (so each ad had an average cost of $0,003 per ad), which I though was really good.

I got a click through rate of 2,15%, so I had 548 people actually click on the ad, so the cost per ctr was $0.15. I also thought this was good.

I have Google Analytics as well so I can track the users in my web, of the 548 visitors, 9 clicked on one of my goals, which is to visit my contact page, so my rate per goal conversion was $8.88. This started being expensive, but I believe the problem could be fixed by changing things in my website.

Unfortunately none actually got in touch with me, they only visited the contact page, so in the end I didn't get a any new clients. This is not good but like I say I hope to change that.

Also the 80 dollars only lasted 2 days so this is obviously something that has to be taken into consideration.

I definitely think this is worth looking into further, as I did get a lot of traffic, and would like to see if I can get better results.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:43
Member (2008)
French to English
Expensive Apr 5, 2011

I tried it a couple of years ago, and concluded that unless you're an expert in the field it ends up very expensive and time consuming for little results. There are better ways for translators to find clients. In some businesses, there are probably expert webmasters who can pull in results, but it would take much more attention and money than I was willing to give it.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:43
French to English
+ ...
Can work but... Apr 5, 2011

I would say it's worth trying, but things you need to remember:

- you need to try and write your ad text so that only those with some likelihood of contracting your services will click on the ad (you may want to mention a price in your ad, for example, rather than paying for people with a low budget/who think it's a free service to click on your ad)
- bear in mind that Google doesn't know the PURPOSE for which a user is searching for a particular term (depending on how you promote yourself, you may well end up paying for people to send you their CVs...)

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:43
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 5, 2011

Alex, Neil, John:

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with Google ads. It seems Proz plays the role of a good advertising too! Some of my clients have contacted me via this site after reading my profile.

2 years was a significant trial period, John. It's a shame you didn't get the planned outcome.

Nice week!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google ads

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search