Client's review changes his own review (?!)
Thread poster: Alexandre Maricato

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 23:26
English to Portuguese
Apr 8, 2011

Hello all,

I am working on a job of around 70k words. The agency asked for a sample translation of 7k (which is included on the word count and paid as such) to send for the client's review.

The client' review had some changes (related to the specific terminolgy) and other optional ones.

The review seemed incomplete, as the reviewer was much more active on the first 20-25% of the file than in the remaining part.

It could be baucause he already
... See more
Hello all,

I am working on a job of around 70k words. The agency asked for a sample translation of 7k (which is included on the word count and paid as such) to send for the client's review.

The client' review had some changes (related to the specific terminolgy) and other optional ones.

The review seemed incomplete, as the reviewer was much more active on the first 20-25% of the file than in the remaining part.

It could be baucause he already made his optional changes (assuming that I would replicate them in the rest of the document) or because he just gave up, as there was not much to actually change. The point is that such inconsistencies were not clear to me.

So I decided to ask the PM to confirm this with the client (sending a few of his optional changes along with my translation), so he would say which one he preferred.

It took about 10 days for him to come back with the reply. At the meantime, I continue the job.

For my surprise, he reverted his optional changes to my original translation (?!).

So I wrote to the PM stating this and that the terms on his reply (along with the other optional changes in the original sample) would be final and adopted for the whole job, as after his new "changes", it was the second time I had to change the translated portion (which by now is around 28k).

So I would ask if you ever had any similar experience and how you dealt with this, from an objective point of view.

As for if his original changes are correct or better than my translation, it does not make any difference, once the client is paying and he shall get what he wants. If I ask someone to paint my house walls in green with pink circles and flying elephants, I expect to get it done, no matter how the painter thinks it is a stupid idea.

Thanks for reading the quite long post and looking forward to hear about your opinions.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client's review changes his own review (?!)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search