Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2002

I have seen this question a number of times (in applications to agencies).

What are they really asking? What is the significance of chosing to overwrite or not overwrite?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:48
German to English
+ ...
Retaining the original formatting Mar 29, 2002

The company probably wants you to make a copy of the document and type your translation into it to retain the original formatting. I do this as a rule. I also like this method because I copy proper names and numbers to minimize the chance of making a mistake (by retyping), thereby also decreasing proofreading time.

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
French to English
Formatting Mar 29, 2002

It\'s basically to keep the same formatting. Strange question, though.

Erika

Richard Boyce
Richard Boyce
Italian to English
same file Mar 29, 2002

Basically, when you receive the file, you make a copy of it and then write over the original text. This means you keep the exact same formatting etc. If there are many words, figures, tables etc. which don\'t need translating, this is a plus as they are already in the file for you. If you employ CAT tools you can also translate many of the terms directly. Of course overwriting a file can also be more time consuming as you have to constantly cancel bits at a time instead of commencing with a bla... See more
Basically, when you receive the file, you make a copy of it and then write over the original text. This means you keep the exact same formatting etc. If there are many words, figures, tables etc. which don\'t need translating, this is a plus as they are already in the file for you. If you employ CAT tools you can also translate many of the terms directly. Of course overwriting a file can also be more time consuming as you have to constantly cancel bits at a time instead of commencing with a blank sheet. But in the end its quicker and more efficient: that\'s why I hate translating non-electronic source material like faxes etc.Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
True, mainly formatting... Mar 29, 2002

but it is also much easier to overwrite than not.

If you don\'t overwrite you have to print the document, set it on the copy holder, and move your head away from the screen a hundred times, taking the risk of losing track...

Whenever possible, I prefer to overwrite.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Overwritting is the only way to use CAT-tools Mar 29, 2002

If you do overwrite a file in Word, you can do it in many ways, but the best way is to start using TRADOS or an other CAT-tool. After all, working for the same client next time this tool will use your previous translation and help you to translate a new file.

On the other hand, creating a new document in Word and formating it so that it meets all the customer needs is not so easy - especially if the layout is a bit complicated.

So I mean overwritting files is an advantage.... See more
If you do overwrite a file in Word, you can do it in many ways, but the best way is to start using TRADOS or an other CAT-tool. After all, working for the same client next time this tool will use your previous translation and help you to translate a new file.

On the other hand, creating a new document in Word and formating it so that it meets all the customer needs is not so easy - especially if the layout is a bit complicated.

So I mean overwritting files is an advantage.

Regards

JC
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But it seems so obvious! Mar 29, 2002

That\'s why it seems a strange question to ask! It seems logical to overwrite so as to ensure exactly the same format.

The question still puzzles me, is there any possible reason why overwriting might in fact be a bad thing?

Martina Ley
Martina Ley
German to Czech
+ ...
Needless to say, ... Mar 29, 2002

but you have to make a copy of the original document first, a then not to forget to change the language and maybe also font settings for the whole document.

Martina

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
... and that is the function of CAT software Mar 29, 2002

This is, in essence, what SDLX and other CAT software does for you: you \"overwrite\" Word files via the SDLX, Trados, DV, etc. interface.

In my view, the most useful (and time-saving) feature of CAT software: this way, you don\'t have to type/delete in the original file - and go crazy in the process .

German to English
+ ...
Because ... Mar 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-29 19:42, Ailish wrote:

That\'s why it seems a strange question to ask! It seems logical to overwrite so as to ensure exactly the same format.

The question still puzzles me, is there any possible reason why overwriting might in fact be a bad thing?

... if you\'re not careful, you may delete certain codes or hidden text contained in the origina... See more
Quote:

On 2002-03-29 19:42, Ailish wrote:

... if you\'re not careful, you may delete certain codes or hidden text contained in the original Word file. ▲ Collapse

Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Overwriting word files Mar 30, 2002

As far as translation job applications go, I think what they are asking is do you have Microsoft Word, and know how to use it to open files, translate what needs to be translated, and then send the file back to them.

Pretty much everyone has Microsoft Word, I guess, but not everyone has powerpoint, etc, which is why they ask these questions in a series.

That\'s my understanding, anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overwriting Word documents

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »