An odd experience!!??
Thread poster: Wulf-Dieter Krüger

Wulf-Dieter Krüger  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
English to German
+ ...
Jun 5, 2011

I was approached by xxxxxock (xxxxxx xxxxxxxx) and the opening was that I had got onto their shortlist. The task was supposed to translate scripts from German to English.
It was agreed to do a test.
The test came - 11 pages, 2890 words.
So I checked them out.
When I enquired whether they wanted 2890 words done as a test free of charge and suggested 1 page = 266 or 2 pages 534 words I got the prompt reply that they had chosen another translator.
How is that to be int
... See more
I was approached by xxxxxock (xxxxxx xxxxxxxx) and the opening was that I had got onto their shortlist. The task was supposed to translate scripts from German to English.
It was agreed to do a test.
The test came - 11 pages, 2890 words.
So I checked them out.
When I enquired whether they wanted 2890 words done as a test free of charge and suggested 1 page = 266 or 2 pages 534 words I got the prompt reply that they had chosen another translator.
How is that to be interpreted?
Has anybody else had a similar experience?

[Edited at 2011-06-05 15:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-05 16:05 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
And ...? Jun 5, 2011

Wulf-Dieter Krüger wrote:
So I checked them out.

It would be very interesting to know the results of this check, Wulf-Dieter. Surely they didn't turn out to be a legitimate end-client with translation needs, or a translation agency, did they?

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Jun 5, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

So I checked them out.

It would be very interesting to know the results of this check, Wulf-Dieter. Surely they didn't turn out to be a legitimate end-client with translation needs, or a translation agency, did they?

You'll find them on YouTube and if you look at their website they supposedly made a lot of films like 'ssss sssss s ssssss' supposedly together with the XXY.
And if you look at xxxxxx xxxxxxxx'x Linkedlin profile you'll see that he's been very much in media and documentaries and the like.
Here at Proz he set up a profile as a German-English, Engilsh-German translator in April with no previous job posts and the job I was contacted for is not listed there either.

[Edited at 2011-06-05 15:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-06-05 16:06 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
So, an end client Jun 5, 2011

You'll find them on YouTube and if you look at their website they supposedly made a lot of films like 'ssss sssss s ssssss' supposedly together with the XXY.

To be generous to them, it could be that they don't know how long it takes to translate anything and if they want a million words translated then they could have thought that less than 3000 was fair as a test. I don't think setting themselves up on ProZ.com as translators necessarily means anything - I've had end-clients do that simply because they had a recommendation and wanted to contact me through my profile.

To be cynical, they could have had 2890 words needing to be translated. Why pay when you can get someone to do them for free?

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:36
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Why is "test" supposed to be synonymous with "unpaid"? Jun 6, 2011

I have no idea why tests are supposed to be unpaid. I have done and passed various tests, ranging from 1500 to 3000 words, and they were all paid at my regular rate. I have never done an unpaid one in my life.

Why is it that so many colleagues have become conditioned to assume that "translator" is a synonym of "Trados-user", and "test" means "at no charge"? Like Pavlovian dogs...

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tests can be paid Jun 6, 2011

It is reasonable to ask for payment when you get almost 3000 words for a test.

It sounds like there needed to be a bit more communication with the customer.

United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks, Edward! Jun 6, 2011

Edward Potter wrote:

a bit more communication with the customer.

No further comment.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I asked them ... Jun 6, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Edward Potter wrote:

a bit more communication with the customer.

No further comment.

... and they answered within a very short time that they had assigned to another translator.

They did not ask what my rate would be.

They did not answer to my suggestion of 266 words/534 words.

And I had asked them, 'please, comment'.

United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Ahem. Jun 6, 2011

That's where you failed.

You are the vendor, and you are supposed to offer a rate right away without wasting time. Otherwise you are considered a beginner and insecure.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They knew the rate Jun 6, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

That's where you failed.

You are the vendor, and you are supposed to offer a rate right away without wasting time. Otherwise you are considered a beginner and insecure.

They knew the rate, however, preferred to ignore it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An odd experience!!??

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search