Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:44
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Easy ! Jul 1, 2011

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

Hello, I'm really in a bind here and I need all the help that I can get.

I recently planned a 2 month trip to Ireland during which I would keep doing my freelancing activities. The problem is that Irish customs really didn't like that I would be working in their country, moreso because one of my clients is from Ireland. They say I need a work visa in that case.

In retrospect, I should have only told them I was visiting, but now the harm is done and they have given me two weeks to leave the country, instead of the two months planned, and my return ticket is not cancellable and my insurance won't cover being refused by customs as an excuse for cancellation.

I would like to know if any of you have a solution to solve this issue. I will call the customs again since the whole thing is a grey area, but I would need good arguments.

My Irish client proposed the following "Tell them you’ve come here as a tourist but that you would accept a translation project coming from CLIENT even during your stay in Ireland. There is nothing against immigration laws about that. You would work from here under the Canadian tax system anyway."

I would gladly just leave Ireland and go to another country for the other 6 weeks, but they ask that I show them a plane ticket headed back to my home country.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Hello,

Write a formal piece of paper explaining that you are in Ireland for leisure. Explain the nature of your business and that you don't intend to work on Irish soil and sign it.

If you need to work for the spoken client, make an agreement with him to invoice everything after you leave Ireland.

Also contact your embassy so that they sort out the whole thing for you and help you.

And it goes without saying, but do not work for any Irish client during your stay.

You have evry right while in Ireland to conduct your business, as long as you don't intend to STAY THERE. Which as I understand it is your case. You can go to a country to visit, but you'll always have to answer emails, check something for work...

Your problem is a matter of communication, you need to clarify the matter throughly, explain the nature of your activity in Canada, and that your trip to Ireland isn't to work, it's mainly to visit. Also explain that you may visit some clients, but in no way, will you establish your residence over there, or work for someone in their premises or something like that.

End of the story.

Kind regards,

[Edited at 2011-07-01 17:41 GMT]

Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:44
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 2, 2011

Thank you for all the supportive comments and exemples, I will call my embassy on Monday and see if I can get this sorted out. I'll keep you posted.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Finally a sane person Jul 2, 2011

The Misha wrote:

They are concerned about you being employed in their country, as they should be. You are not an employee, you are a business person, and there shouldn't be anything in any laws about traveling for business or doing some business even when on a personal trip. As long as your Irish client remits the money directly to your account in Canada, or whatever your current arrangement is, it's really none of their concern.

That said, this is an issue for an Irish lawyer, not us lay folks here. Don't you take anything any of us says at face value. We are all speculating.

Just curious, why the heck did you even tell them?

I often visit my sister in the Netherlands and work there. I still invoice from the UK and pay my taxes here.

I want to know why you told them too.

Good luck,
Marijke

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
I didn't know Jul 2, 2011

I had been told not to hide anything to immigration, keep out of trouble, this is my first big trip, I now know better.

Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:44
French to English
Lany's case applies to a non EC situation Jul 4, 2011

In case anyone is worried about Lany's problem, like you Marijke, I can reassure you that this does not apply to non-salaried workers travelling in EC countries.
If you are a resident of one EC country for more than 183 days a year and if this country is your main place of residence you can go and work anywhere else you want in Europe for the rest of the year. Your taxes and social contributions for your registered freelance activity are only due in your country of residence.

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Issue solved Jul 4, 2011

I now have a standard 3 month visiting visa.

I went to the Canadian ambassy, who told me they didn't meddle with immigration decisions and that it was basically the immigration's prerogative to refuse me. They told me to try to see the Irish immigration bureau to see if someone could help me there, but that I had slim chances.

I went to the bureau, I got escalated right away (I'm guessing this is not a commun situation) and after... five minutes tops for explaning my st
... See more

I went to the Canadian ambassy, who told me they didn't meddle with immigration decisions and that it was basically the immigration's prerogative to refuse me. They told me to try to see the Irish immigration bureau to see if someone could help me there, but that I had slim chances.

I went to the bureau, I got escalated right away (I'm guessing this is not a commun situation) and after... five minutes tops for explaning my status, they proceeded to extend my stay. I barely had to explain myself, they didn't ask too many questions either. I think I was out of there in about 1 hour, my hat is off to them.

So, I'm in the clear, I learned a good lesson about travels and I'm ready to stop worrying and to enjoy my stay in Ireland
Collapse

Alexandra Pirotte (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Keep us updated :) Jul 4, 2011

I'm glad to hear that the misunderstanding with immigration has been cleared. Please let us know how your stay goes! I’m seriously considering moving to Ireland myself. It seems to be a far more business-friendly place than Belgium.

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Great! Jul 4, 2011

Lany Chabot-Laroche wrote:

I went to the bureau, I got escalated right away (I'm guessing this is not a commun situation) and after... five minutes tops for explaning my status, they proceeded to extend my stay. I barely had to explain myself, they didn't ask too many questions either. I think I was out of there in about 1 hour, my hat is off to them.

So, I'm in the clear, I learned a good lesson about travels and I'm ready to stop worrying and to enjoy my stay in Ireland

Good to hear!
It's also a nice reminder to people who posted along the lines of "You broke the LAW, you should get out of the country and be glad you're not in jail" that they shouldn't automatically assume that a person wearing a uniform is always right.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jul 5, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:
It's also a nice reminder to people who posted along the lines of "You broke the LAW, you should get out of the country and be glad you're not in jail" that they shouldn't automatically assume that a person wearing a uniform is always right.

Officials, being human beings (yes, really!), are prone to misunderstanding situations. At the end of a long busy day, someone who says "I'm going to do some work here while I'm enjoying my stay" needs to have the correct employment papers and alarm bells start ringing if they are missing.

We're all in the communications business so we can all give many examples of when communication failed between speakers of two languages. This just goes to show that it can happen between speakers of the same language, too. It's a shame, but I think this sort of misunderstanding will continue to lurk in the background, ready to spring out and hammer the slightest "loose word". Until we replace all the officials with robots. On the other hand, though, that could just make things worse.

Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end, Lany, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Jetlag Jul 5, 2011

Also, by the time I got to customs, it was around 5 am for my time and I was hungry and tired as I didn't sleep much on the plane, so I'm sure I didn't plead my case with the most eloquence, that certainly didn't help.

alisonbyrne
Spanish to English
Glad to hear Jul 8, 2011

Lany

I'm Irish and glad this problem was sorted out. Maybe it's not the same in every country but I find that it all depends on who you speak to! It's good that you spoke to a reasonable person the second time. Enjoy your stay here!

Alison

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Irish immigration

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search