Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do clients pay any attention to calendars on Proz.com profiles?
Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Aug 30, 2011

Mine never seem to check.

I dutifully update my Proz calendar on a weekly basis, and I regularly remind my clients to take a look at it so that they will know on which days I'm not available, partly available, etc.

But they don't seem to want to do this.

Perhaps the calendar could be improved so that it gives more detail: e.g. tomorrow I will be available until 1015 a.m. then not available until 3 p.m. then available until 5 p.m., then not available until 6 p.m. etc.

If so, this might help to address the issue raised in this other thread: http://tinyurl.com/3tex67o

Your thoughts?

[Edited at 2011-08-30 21:14 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My guess is that clients and potential clients don't consult the calendar Aug 30, 2011

It would probably be better to manage your availability through automated e-mail replies and custom voice mails when you are unavailable (or simply don't want to be bothered).

Just my thought.

xxxkalap
Ridiculous Aug 30, 2011

Why should they go on proz? To see a calendar?

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why bother? Aug 30, 2011

Tom in London wrote:
Perhaps the calendar could be improved so that it gives more detail.

I agree that very few clients seem to check, but then why should they? And if they aren't going to check your ProZ.com calendar, why would you want to waste even more time updating it?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The ones you don't see are the ones that see it Aug 30, 2011

Tom in London wrote:
I dutifully update my Proz calendar on a weekly basis, and I regularly remind my clients to take a look at it so that they will know on which days I'm not available, partly available, etc.

I have no idea whether my existing clients check my ProZ.com calendar, but I do know that I can't know for certain whether any new clients who didn't contact me did so because they saw that I wasn't available.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks folks Aug 30, 2011

Well thanks for all the comments so far, folks; there seems to be an opinion that the Proz calendar is pointless and that nobody ever consults it.

Proz admin people, take note!

I'm going to eliminate it from my profile and stop updating it.

[Edited at 2011-08-30 22:34 GMT]

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 08:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
OT (well, almost...) Aug 31, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

... I do know that I can't know for certain whether any new clients who didn't contact me did so because they saw that I wasn't available.

Shouldn't that read: didn't so?

MediaMatrix

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think the calender thing should be removed. Aug 31, 2011

It gives an extra burden, maybe a useless one, to the translators.

Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Keep it Aug 31, 2011

I like having the calendar there. It can keep any potential client who has found me through the directory from having to waste time getting in touch with me. It seems clear that those who think it is useless would do well to eliminate it from their profiles, but it is a feature I personally value and want to keep.

Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
They don't check it Aug 31, 2011

I would never expect my existing clients to check it, but I know that potential new clients don't check it either. Last time I was on maternity leave I duly filled in my calender and I wrote in capital letters, across the top of my profile, that I was on maternity leave until a certain date. I still got a large number of enquiries from potential clients who found me on ProZ!
These days I generally don't bother with it.

[Edited at 2011-08-31 07:55 GMT]

xxxXX789  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nobody checks Aug 31, 2011

I've sent mass mailings to clients in capitals saying that I'm going on holidays on this and this date and that I will ABSOLUTELY. NOT. BE. AVAILABLE. FOR. ANYONE.

Guess how many "urgent" and "can you please fit this in?" mails I got on said date? Sometimes even during X-mas and New Year.

I'm not even sending mails anymore, as no one reads them anyway.

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Never Aug 31, 2011

My clients who get in touch with me directly or with whom I have worked before, they never check. This seems to apply to other potential clients who find me thru Proz. So I guess my answer would be "Never". Maybe some potential clients may have checked my availability and given up on sending me emails since I'm not available, but who knows?
But due to force of habit, I update my calendar regularly.

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Nope Aug 31, 2011

I'm always setting mine to unavailable because that's unfortunately the case - my in-house job is really demanding these days and I don't have time to do freelance work. But I still get plenty of e-mails from clients who found my profile via the site's search function, offering me urgent translation jobs, or very large projects. They probably overlooked the red dot, or don't understand what it means.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OT: didn't so Aug 31, 2011

mediamatrix wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
... I do know that I can't know for certain whether any new clients who didn't contact me did so because they saw that I wasn't available.

My (admittedly non-native) English feel says that "didn't so" isn't English, and that using "did so" for something that wasn't done is perfectly acceptable in English (illogical though it may be). I'll be happy to hear from native English speakers here.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
off topic on didn't so Aug 31, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

mediamatrix wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

My (admittedly non-native) English feel says that "didn't so" isn't English, and that using "did so" for something that wasn't done is perfectly acceptable in English (illogical though it may be). I'll be happy to hear from native English speakers here.

I don't think either is very comfortable, but I prefer "did so" because "didn't so" implies that the clients didn't do the aforementioned action (i.e. they didn't not contact you). I would avoid it altogether and get rid of all the negatives by omitting "who":
... whether any new clients didn't contact me because they saw that I wasn't available...

Interesting off-topic!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do clients pay any attention to calendars on Proz.com profiles?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search