Thread poster: magd abdel rahman

magd abdel rahman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 21, 2011

Dear Colleagues

I'm seeking your advice on determining the fees of translating a glossary for an insurance company. It's part of a larger file and obviously, it will take miore time compared to other documents in this file.

How would I calculate fees, baring in mind that hourly rates are not usually applied in the Middle East?

Many thanks for your advice

Direct link Reply with quote

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 21:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
It depends Sep 21, 2011

magd abdel rahman wrote:

Dear Colleagues

I'm seeking your advice on determining the fees of translating a glossary for an insurance company. It's part of a larger file and obviously, it will take miore time compared to other documents in this file.

How would I calculate fees, baring in mind that hourly rates are not usually applied in the Middle East?

Many thanks for your advice

Points of consideration:

- Is the glossary going to be printed/published? If so, you should ask for a share in copyright or consider that when setting your fees.
- You can apply hourly rates in ME. I usually do for such tasks and it works fine.
- Since glossary material is not a streaming text and takes more time than usual, you can apply your normal translation rate + (x% which represents your estimation of additional time) in case you can not apply hourly rate.

Regards

[Edited at 2011-09-21 09:33 GMT]

Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:56
Member (2009)
French to English
Flat rate Sep 21, 2011

Even if hourly rates are not the norm, you could charge a flat rate which would be your estimate of how many hours it would take you to complete the project. If the client insists on having the rate expressed per word, take the flat rate and divide by the number of words - voila! It should be a higher than your normal rate, but how much higher will depend on the subject, available reference material, and the level of detail required.

magd abdel rahman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:56
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Sep 22, 2011

Ahmed and Jenn, many thanks for your precious advice !!!!!!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fees for glossary translation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search