Thread poster: Sheila Wilson

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:12
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2011

A posting here on ProZ.com looking for EFL teachers asked for "native English speaker". So far, so good - a native speaker has the pronunciation spot on and the right to say "that's right/wrong", even if they don't know quite why.

Then, the posting said "teaching experience is a plus". OK, they want a beginner because they don't have much to spend. They're taking a chance, of course, but they may come up trumps.

Then we come down to the nitty-gritty: "Preferred software: SDL TRADOS". Damn! I'm British through and through, I've been teaching EFL for about 15 years... but I don't have a clue about SDL Trados! Another job I don't really qualify for.

OK, perhaps they just left this in from the last translation job posting. But how many jobs request Trados nowadays? And how many actually need it? Do people really need Trados to translate literary works? To translate scanned PDF files? For proofreading (apart from occasionally)?

Even for teaching?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Preferred Sep 25, 2011

Sheila, it says "preferred", not "required".

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:42
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Suggest to apply Sep 25, 2011

I have gone through with that post.

If I am not wrong, that post was created in a haste, however the company genuinely needs some teachers.

Hope so, that the poster is a Chinese and intend to choose the best one, innocently selected SDL Trados.

It is completely a translation software only, there is nothing to do with teaching in it.

Regards,
PRAKAASH

Sheila Wilson wrote:

A posting here on ProZ.com looking for EFL teachers asked for "native English speaker". So far, so good - a native speaker has the pronunciation spot on and the right to say "that's right/wrong", even if they don't know quite why.

Then, the posting said "teaching experience is a plus". OK, they want a beginner because they don't have much to spend. They're taking a chance, of course, but they may come up trumps.

Then we come down to the nitty-gritty: "Preferred software: SDL TRADOS". Damn! I'm British through and through, I've been teaching EFL for about 15 years... but I don't have a clue about SDL Trados! Another job I don't really qualify for.

OK, perhaps they just left this in from the last translation job posting. But how many jobs request Trados nowadays? And how many actually need it? Do people really need Trados to translate literary works? To translate scanned PDF files? For proofreading (apart from occasionally)?

Even for teaching?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who qualifies to be a teacher?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search