Igor Radosavljevic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 09:33
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Oct 4, 2011

Dear translators & others,

I believe you all agree, that ill bookkeeping, with all those reminders and tolerance-based-excuse-acceptance for postponed payments, affect our wallets.

Oftentimes one ends up not knowing where their money is.

Software being an ever developing product [the reason for avoiding older postings], which one do you consider worthy of using for invoicing/bookkeeping purposes? Freeware products included.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Igor

Direct link Reply with quote

Alicja Weikop  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:33
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Proz Invoicing Oct 4, 2011

Hi Igor,

I had a go using Translation Office 3000, but wasn't happy with it - too much bureaucracy, zillions of project and customer folders, which I wasn't keeping up with and had no idea what was where. I am sure there will be translators who use it efficiently - but for me it wasn't right.

I now use Proz Invoicing and am very happy with it - straightforward, all in one place, without unnecessary project management features which I found so annoying in TO3000. You email invoices directly to customers + a copy to yourself which allows you to backup your bills in your email account.

Once set up with your invoice template (you need to spend a little time setting it up, but some templates are available) it is easy to keep track of your payments and customers etc.

That's my experience!

Best wishes,
Alicja

Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is really a good solution Oct 4, 2011

Thanks Alicja,

I like the idea of not having things scattered around.
I'll give it a try immediately, settings included.

Regards,
Igor

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
MS Word Oct 4, 2011

Why complicate things?

And how will using invoicing software expedite payment by a client?

[Edited at 2011-10-04 09:59 GMT]

Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
By writing cordial reminders? Oct 4, 2011

Hello Richard,

Does MS Word offer a solution to remind me not to forget to remind the other party?

The bottom line is: you are right, finally it boils down to writing anyway.

Thanks
Igor

Richard Foulkes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Nope... Oct 4, 2011

I didn't realise you were looking for something with automated reminders Igor.

I often invoice at end of the month so I know if the money isn't in my account by the end of the following month, then payment is overdue. Fortunately, I have a relatively small pool of clients and they all pay promptly so I've never needed any software to keep track of things.

I guess you could use Outlook Calendar / Tasks etc. alongside MS Word, but if you're looking for an all-in-one solution, I hope you find it.

Regards,

Richard

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Translation Office 3000 Oct 5, 2011

Igor Radosavljevic wrote:
...which one do you consider worthy of using for invoicing/bookkeeping purposes? Freeware products included...

One of my best productivity investments, together with Dragon Naturally Speaking. I couldn't manage efficiently 200+ jobs and their deadlines a year (and payment terms, customer details, business notes, Trados schemes and whatnot) without a dedicated solution.
You list of invoices is colour-coded, so anything that is late compared to the payment terms set for each customer appears in red (or whatever colour you choose), and you know at a glance where you stand, how much money you have outside, etc.
I agree that it requires a bit of work at the beginning: data entry, customizing while aligning your way of doing things to the program features (and not the other way around) and thorough reading of the online help. All work files and folders are in one place and accessed from within TO3000
But in the end I found it very much worth the effort and saving a lot of time in the long run: you enter the same data once and once only, so you save time and never make carry-over mistakes.
In 6+ years of use, I have never lost any information and I can retrieve any note I made about a customer, invoice or payment, be it latest rate increase, how first contact was made, payment means or special rate granted on a particular job that may be 4 years old.

And technical support is very good and responsive too.

Best wishes in your search,
Philippe

Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TO 3000 sounds promising Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Philippe,

I'll give it a 30-day trial.

Regards,
Igor

Carlos Djomo
Cameroon
English to French
Billingboss is good and free ! Oct 5, 2011

Dear Igor,
I had equally been struggling to handle invoicing matters and related issues. Until I discovered Billingboss, a free onlin billing service by Sage. It helps you set up the invoice layout to be used forever, manage your portfolio of client, and follow-up paid/pending invoices.

I found it very helpful. I hope you too.
www.billingboss.com/

Carlos DJOMO
EN-FR Senior Translator
Cameroon (GMT+1)

Serbia
Member (2010)
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online Oct 5, 2011

Thanks Carlos,

I'll try it, though the fact that it is online somehow makes me feel uneasy.

I hope I'll give some feedback soon, regarding the other mentioned software as well.

Thanks guys,
Igor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

most reliable/useful freeware invoicing software

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search