Thread poster: pooja_chic
pooja_chic
pooja_chic
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 6, 2011

Alexandre Maricato wrote:

If the client is so unpleasant, just drop him.

Complaining about his bad language will not help a bit. And even less complaints in form of rhetorical questions.

If this is the type of vague communication that you use with your clients, you may want to reconsider the way you approach things.

I think..you are the one who understood the problem..I should drop him

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:41
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Language vs. behaviour Oct 8, 2011

pooja_chic wrote:

For everyone..My native language is English (Uk). I am born in India, From age of 1, I am learning basics through English (UK). It has been more than 30 years that I am communicating through this language. My official language too is English (UK).

Now I pose a question for those who are creating new thread and trying to point out that its issue of native language.

How one defines native language?

As per me, its not the place of birth which decides it, but its our educational, learning system and cultural background which defines it. Accordingly, I am native speaker of English (UK)...
So please try to focus on what is asked......

My issue is that if outsourcer does not know how to speak with client but pays at end..is this justified to continue working with him? Does one work for money only?

I agree with you that it's not the place of birth that defines one's native language. It is also entirely possible that UK English indeed is your native language. However, your post illustrates nicely that while being native in the target language may be a necessary condition, it certainly is not a sufficient one.

In my opinion, you can't separate behaviour and language in the strict way you're suggesting. It is fairly likely that part of what you perceive as inappropriate behaviour by the outsourcer can be traced back to lack of language proficiency and/or communication skills on your side.

Please mind that I'm not trying to criticise your language skills. I'm just trying to point out that the situation might have to be seen in a different light.

Bottom line: Alexandre's advice is good: Drop all outsourcers whose behaviour you don't agree with.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-08 10:03 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: blank post
Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 18:41
Member (2003)
French to English
I wouldn't put up with it Oct 9, 2011

I think you answered your own question or whether or not to continuing working with this "outsourcer", since the word you used to describe him/her is INTOLERABLE. So don't tolerate it.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Kristina Radziulyte
Kristina Radziulyte  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:41
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...

Locking thread Oct 11, 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks to all who have posted. I am locking this thread as the topic seems to have drifted from the original topic. Please remember that in order to change the discussion, it is necessary to post a new topic (http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/4#4).

Kind regards,
Kristina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Behaviour of outsourcer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »