Thread poster: Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel
Elena Miguel  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 6, 2004

I've been told that Russian authorities won't accept certified translations made by an Spanish Certified translator (appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs), can anybody provide me with more information on the issue? Is this true?
Recently I discovered that Brazilian authorities don't accept documents transalted by Spanish certified translators (traductores jurados) either and, personally, I find it quite unfair.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 21:15
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
why - it's a common practice May 6, 2004

You are to be a certified translator in the country of documents submission, so to say. In Canada it means that you are registered with Canada Revenue Agency, reside here, have a business number, your credentials are verified and confirmed. Otherwise on what grounds, for instance, the local court would consider valid some Certificate of marriage (dated, say, 30 years from now and issued out-of-Canada, and translated and certified by a foreign translator who neither lives nor was educated in Cana... See more
You are to be a certified translator in the country of documents submission, so to say. In Canada it means that you are registered with Canada Revenue Agency, reside here, have a business number, your credentials are verified and confirmed. Otherwise on what grounds, for instance, the local court would consider valid some Certificate of marriage (dated, say, 30 years from now and issued out-of-Canada, and translated and certified by a foreign translator who neither lives nor was educated in Canada)?... - who has time to go into the time- and money-consuming verification process every time this situation occurs.. It's just a small example.
No, I believe, the practice you've mentioned is absolutely right.

However, on the other hand, from personal experience, I can add, that, for instance, the US authorities (Immigration and court) are OK to accept certified translations done by myself, - despite the fact that I am Canadian.

[Edited at 2004-05-06 21:49]

[Edited at 2004-05-06 21:52]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified translations into Russian made in Spain

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »