Pressuring clients
Thread poster: Ricardo Gouveia

Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 4, 2011

Hello everyone, I have been thinking for a while in this matter and as I am unsure on how to deal with the situation and perhaps would be positive to learn from the experience and opinions of more experient freelancers.

In the last month I have bid on a project, did an application test and I received then an email from the same company (direct client) confirming that "we are very interested in starting a collaboration with you", and in fact the rate was decided and they sounded interest; also considering that I am very anxious since it is a kind of project I am very interested in and looking forward too.

However, it has been more than 2 weeks and I feel like pressuring them; or that perhaps they are waiting for me to say anything more than "I am looking forward to hear from you again", I have already thought about thinking in excuses to contact them (such as bringing up topics like TMs). I am starting to seriously wonder the meaning of "interested in starting a collaboration".
Should I be pressuring the client, and would that be fine, and what could I expect and what can they think of me?

Thank you very much in advance.

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:43
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
short, friendly enquiry on project schedule Nov 4, 2011

Ciao Ricardo,
maybe you could send a short and friendly enquiry about their estimated schedule, explaining that this would help you set aside the necessary time for their project so that their will be no clash with other deadlines.
Explain that you do not want to pressure them, but that you want to be able to be free to dedicate your entire attention to this project when the time comes.
This way they might reply and let you know that the project (and relvant confirmation PO) wll not be active before X days and you will have peace of mind to accept work from other clients in the meantime.
I am interested to hear other suggestions on this topic.
Ciao
Daniela

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Customers will like to see that you are interested Nov 4, 2011

Get in touch with them and ask whether there has been any progress on the document. Briefly explain that you would appreciate any information for your own planning.

However, do not ask them every day. Ask once, and maybe again after a week if nothing happens. If they do not give you a straight answer that the job is happening and when, consider that the job has been cancelled and take any other work.

Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 21:43
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Projects tend to be rescheduled Nov 4, 2011

This happens all the time. A company would start a project and schedule work. Translation, say, is planned on week 2 of the project. Then some big boss would want to introduce some changes into the original materials or something else happens and the translation stage keeps postponed week after week.

Right now I am in this kind of situation getting 'next week' messages from a PM, exactly like a project from the same company I did a couple of months ago when the materials arrived about a month late.

Once I was chosen for a project that was to start in November but because of numerous delays at various stages it started in April.

If the client does not send a message saying that the translation stage is postponed I usually write something like this:

Please let me know the situation with this project so that I could schedule my workload.

[Редактировалось 2011-11-04 06:35 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A friendly reminder Nov 4, 2011

Hi Ricardo,

just email them and let them know that you are interested in the project (just don't make it sound like you're desperately waiting for iticon_smile.gif ) As others have already stated here, projects tend to be ammended, re-scheduled or plain cancelled. In case the project has been cancelled, just let the client know that you would like to work with them perhaps on another project, and invite them to contact you on anything that might come up.

You could also mention the use of or the requirement for CAT tools, since this is part of any contract that is to materialize. Just email them once, then wait a couple of weeks. If this client is really interested in your collaboration, then they will contact you.icon_smile.gif

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Ask once Nov 4, 2011

I was in a similar situation once, but with a direct client. When I didn't hear anything, I sent a short email asking about the progress, because I was setting up my own schedule for the next few weeks. I then got a very friendly answer that they were still setting up the project, but I would hear from them within the next 2 weeks.

So my suggestion would be to send a short email and then wait. Don't ask too often.

Good luck!

Annett

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:13
English to Swedish
Follow up Nov 4, 2011

Hi,

To follow up an active quote is normal in any sales situation. As been suggested before, send them a short polite email and ask for an update.

Asa

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's absolutely normal Nov 4, 2011

If you keep good time management practices, you may write them asking when this project is expected to start, so you'll make sure you have spare production capacity to handle it as efficiently as possible. If they don't know yet, you may advise them to warn you as soon as they have a vague idea, just to prevent you from diving into some other project that will take most of - if not all - your available time then.

I've had it more often than I'd be willing to believe if anyone told me so. After all this first mutual enchantment, it took up to two years so far for those clients to call/write me back, to say that they would be starting over on that temporarily abandoned project.

Until you have an order, and the material to work on, it's not a job.

Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 4, 2011

Thank you very much for comments, everyone.

I found it very useful to hear about your advice and experience, I have already had a client which sometimes took 1-2 months to answer, and that ended up to be one of the most interesting projects I have ever worked on (and curiously the only one in the Literary field).
However this time, it will be my first project in one of the translation fields I have been looking forward to work in the most and sometimes the anxiousity and impatience take over me whenever I recall the last email I was sent, a little immature and unexperient of my part and I hope I will learn something new out of this project to be.

I am now writing the email enquiring about the project schedule as well as some other important details and hope to receive a positive response in the next business days.
Thank you all very much once again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pressuring clients

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search