Thread poster: Alex Lago

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:33
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 4, 2011

So I saw a long term collaboration offer posted today in Proz asking applicants to fill out a registration on the outsourcer's website, so reading through the form I come up with this clause you have to accept to register:

"After the Purchase Order is approved by the translator, he/she has to start the translation immediately and deliver the first 800 words within the next 2 hours. If the translator fails to do so, the PM will write a warning email and call, if no reply within 3 hours, the PM will assign the project to another translator and current translator won't be paid. The payment: of fees and costs are made within maximum 60 days since the work is accepted by the final consumer (which may take up to 5 days). If the translation presents omission and mistakes that mislead the meaning of the original content or the Translator exceeds the fixed deadline with 1 hour, Client has the right to withdraw 10% of the total fee of that particular project. In case the translation meets both, client has the right to withdraw 20% of the total fee."

Needless to say I did not register.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well... :-/ Nov 4, 2011

Clearly a no-go for any sensible translator! Thanks for sharing!

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The missing part Nov 4, 2011

There's a part missing:

"Any translators who fail to abide by these rules will be hunted down and shot."

[Edited at 2011-11-04 17:02 GMT]

Gilla Evans  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
This left me spluttering with disbelief! Nov 4, 2011

Not a good look... I expect there are lots of translators knocking on their door, dying to sign upicon_wink.gif

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Sad indeed Nov 4, 2011

Gilla Evans wrote:
I expect there are lots of translators knocking on their door, dying to sign upicon_wink.gif

This is at least part of the reason why some companies do business in this way, of course. With so many people selling their translation services over the web, simply because they can speak a second language, the industry is swamped with low-cost providers. It's only natural that some agencies will take advantage of this talent pool, whilst making provision not to pay those who have no idea how to do a professional job. All we can do is ignore such agencies and hope that the good ones stay around.

Still, if they are expecting 800 words in the first two hours, then they will probably be guaranteed to receive poor translations, even from those capable of doing better. Personally, unless it's a repeat job, I normally take a while to scan through the text before I even begin to type and I doubt I could deliver more than 500 proofread words in that time.

Sheila

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Daring or plain imprudence? Nov 4, 2011

Wow, these are "ball and chain" terms. So I'm wondering if that job poster will ever find a translator willing to accept such terms.

Actually, I believe one point is missing in their post: If translator fails to answer the reprimanding phone call, regardless of what time of day or night it might be made, or objects to it in any way or form, translator will agree to not only complete the project without receiving any compensation, but will instead pay the outsorce for the expenses of said phone call and for the time spent making it...at a rate of USD 100.00 per minute, payable immediately the moment the outsourcer hangs up.

My apologies for such a slightly sarcastic comment to a genuinely unprofessional job post.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Guessing Nov 4, 2011

Thayenga wrote:

Wow, these are "ball and chain" terms.

I'm guessing, but would I be wrong if I surmised that this agency is based in the US?

They seem extremely eager to get into a litigious situation as quickly as they can.

[Edited at 2011-11-04 17:29 GMT]

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
First 800 words in 2 hours... Nov 4, 2011

I usually spend the entire first day doing research before even starting the translation. It is rare for me to deliver ANY translation in less than 36 hours.

If they feel the need to "baby-sit" their translators this way, perhaps they should consider paying more and getting more reliable "vendors".

[Edited at 2011-11-04 17:54 GMT]

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Good guess Nov 4, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

I'm guessing, but would I be wrong if I surmised that this agency is based in the US?

They seem extremely eager to get into a litigious situation as quickly as they can.

Yes, they are located in the USA. I've just read the post myself and then went to their site to "enjoy" reading their terms.icon_eek.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
On top of that... Nov 4, 2011

Alex, please do not tell us that this firm offered less than 0.20 euros per word!!

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Native English? Nov 4, 2011

Thayenga wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

Yes, they are located in the USA. I've just read the post myself and then went to their site to "enjoy" reading their terms.icon_eek.gif

Upon first reading, the English paragraph quoted by Alex sounded a bit questionable, though, but perhaps that's just me...

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Payment Nov 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Alex, please do not tell us that this firm offered less than 0.20 euros per word!!

They're paying in US Dollars. How much? Who knows?

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:33
Member (2010)
Greek to English
The same company... Nov 4, 2011

...has just sent out a message for a 'potential job' in all languages pairs from Greek.

Once I got to the point in the registration form which asked for your 'best price', and the drop-down list didn't go above 0.07 USD, I started looking for somewhere on the form where I could tell them where to put their 7 cents. Then I found the "800 words in 2 hours" clause and, of course, I came straight to the forums!

I really urge everyone to work for this company (so that I can get all the work from the good companies!).

Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Their original words Nov 4, 2011

Steffen Walter wrote:

Upon first reading, the English paragraph quoted by Alex sounded a bit questionable, though, but perhaps that's just me...

The post is still on the job board. Alex copied the text from their site.

You are right, though, Steffen, so it isn't just you.icon_smile.gif

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
USD 0.07... Nov 4, 2011

Thayenga wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

They're paying in US Dollars. How much? Who knows?

... is the highest rate they list in the drop-down menu in their registration form ("Best rate translation" - yeah, right...).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wow outsourcer clauses just get better and better

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search