Thread poster: Helena Grahn

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:36
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

Today I received a translation test and when I opened it, it was a test with over 5000 words and 12 pages. This has never happened to me before. Usually it is one or two pages. I am definitely not doing this.

[Edited at 2011-11-09 12:45 GMT]

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Comedians Nov 9, 2011

They must be having a laugh. There's no other explanation.

Birthe Hansen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:36
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
I agree Nov 9, 2011

I agree with you and with Ty. Let's just be nice and assume, that they sent you the wrong text...

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just one question Nov 9, 2011

Hello Helena,

I don't think there's much to say to that except that of course you aren't going to do it - it's absurd if it's free - could it be possible that they're expecting a quote?

That wasn't actually the question I had in mind, it just slipped in.icon_smile.gif

The one I intended to ask is: Did this test come from an agency or a direct client? I suppose that a direct client may not know really what they have asked you to do. I have had direct clients who seem to think I just look at a text, snap my fingers, and - hey, presto! - it's in a different language.icon_mad.gif

Sheila

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Someone's keeping their fingers crossed Nov 9, 2011

Well, it looks a lot like that outsourcer is hoping to find a translator who will do this test.
Would bring them (the outsourcer) a lot of money without having to pay the translator.

You could send them an email quoting your price for this "test" translation.icon_eek.gif Then see what happens.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translate the first 250-300 words and... Nov 9, 2011

... tell them how much you would charge (at your normal full rate) to translate the whole thing. As a new client, 50% of the payment is required in advance.

Back to basics
Brazil
Local time: 15:36
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Am with you Nov 9, 2011

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

... tell them how much you would charge (at your normal full rate) to translate the whole thing. As a new client, 50% of the payment is required in advance.

This would also be my approach; try to turn it into something possibly positive.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:36
Chinese to English
Could be an honest mistake Nov 9, 2011

This has happened to me once or twice - sometimes the client forgets to tell you which section they want as the test, or once I failed to notice that one particular section had been recoloured to indicate that I should do it as a test.
Quick email to ask if it's a mistake, otherwise I think Jose's advice is exactly right.

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, Phil Nov 9, 2011

They just want me to choose 3 paragraphs out of the text and translate it. Phew!!!! I think this explains it all.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, it does. Nov 9, 2011

Helena Grahn wrote:

They just want me to choose 3 paragraphs out of the text and translate it. Phew!!!! I think this explains it all.

That's good news and solves the problem. And you just might have won a good client.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation test

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search