Thread poster: Helena Grahn

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 9, 2011

Today I received a translation test and when I opened it, it was a test with over 5000 words and 12 pages. This has never happened to me before. Usually it is one or two pages. I am definitely not doing this.

[Edited at 2011-11-09 12:45 GMT]

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Comedians Nov 9, 2011

They must be having a laugh. There's no other explanation.

Birthe Hansen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:06
Member (2011)
Danish to German
+ ...
I agree Nov 9, 2011

I agree with you and with Ty. Let's just be nice and assume, that they sent you the wrong text...

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just one question Nov 9, 2011

Hello Helena,

I don't think there's much to say to that except that of course you aren't going to do it - it's absurd if it's free - could it be possible that they're expecting a quote?

That wasn't actually the question I had in mind, it just slipped in.icon_smile.gif

The one I intended to ask is: Did this test come from an agency or a direct client? I suppose that a direct client may not know really what they have asked you to do. I have had direct clients who seem to think I just look at a text, snap my fingers, and - hey, presto! - it's in a different language.icon_mad.gif

Sheila

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Someone's keeping their fingers crossed Nov 9, 2011

Well, it looks a lot like that outsourcer is hoping to find a translator who will do this test.
Would bring them (the outsourcer) a lot of money without having to pay the translator.

You could send them an email quoting your price for this "test" translation.icon_eek.gif Then see what happens.

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translate the first 250-300 words and... Nov 9, 2011

... tell them how much you would charge (at your normal full rate) to translate the whole thing. As a new client, 50% of the payment is required in advance.

Stefan Blommaert  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Am with you Nov 9, 2011

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

... tell them how much you would charge (at your normal full rate) to translate the whole thing. As a new client, 50% of the payment is required in advance.

This would also be my approach; try to turn it into something possibly positive.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:06
Chinese to English
Could be an honest mistake Nov 9, 2011

This has happened to me once or twice - sometimes the client forgets to tell you which section they want as the test, or once I failed to notice that one particular section had been recoloured to indicate that I should do it as a test.
Quick email to ask if it's a mistake, otherwise I think Jose's advice is exactly right.

Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, Phil Nov 9, 2011

They just want me to choose 3 paragraphs out of the text and translate it. Phew!!!! I think this explains it all.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes, it does. Nov 9, 2011

Helena Grahn wrote:

They just want me to choose 3 paragraphs out of the text and translate it. Phew!!!! I think this explains it all.

That's good news and solves the problem. And you just might have won a good client.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation test

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search