Looking for Feedback on a Job Offer
Thread poster: James Hodges

James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 16:40
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Dec 7, 2011

I received a direct mail offer the other day from a newly-registered proz corporate member. Being cautious, rather than immediately throwing my hat into the ring, I decided to Google the company to find out more about them. Anyway, it turns out that they have apparently had some payment issues with other (non-translator) service providers (according to certain Internet message boards). What should I do? Should I just ignore the original job offer, or should I just sign on in the hope that everything will be OK?

Look forward to any and all feedback.

K9

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:40
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ignore / up-front payment Dec 7, 2011

I usually ignore mass emails offering work.

Did they give any contact information other than their yahoo email address?

Did they use your name?

If you are short of work this month, you might offer doing the work for them with up-front payment.

Make sure you give them a phone call first to make sure they can be contacted that way.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:40
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I couldn't agree more. Dec 7, 2011

Edward Potter wrote:

I usually ignore mass emails offering work.

Did they give any contact information other than their yahoo email address?

Did they use your name?

If you are short of work this month, you might offer doing the work for them with up-front payment.

Make sure you give them a phone call first to make sure they can be contacted that way.

Hoping that everything will be alright is only a good attitude for players. But you want to do serious busness, so ask for up-front payment and give them a phone call.

Best of luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Feedback on a Job Offer

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search