Thread poster: Mark Hamlen

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:12
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2011

I was just notified of a job on the board by an agency that specifies that the PO will only be issued at the end of the month. On top of this they stipulate a below market per word rate and payment at 60 days. On the Blue Board there are at least 3 ratings of 1 from translators who had to struggle to get paid.

I suppose I was naughty but I bid on the job at my highest rate with a note that no professional I can imagine would do an urgent job like this without a PO which is as close as we can hope to a contractual commitment. I see there are several other bids, so my "educational effort" is probably in vain.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:12
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good try Dec 15, 2011

The least one can do is try. Unfortunately, there are fledgeling 'translators' out there prey of vultures.

Best regards,

Elías

Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
German to English
Just out of curiosity... Dec 15, 2011

Did they really use the word/acronym "PO"? They really stated/implied that they would not issue any type of written confirmation at all?

I could possibly understand if the writer isn't a native speaker of English, maybe he or she doesn't truly understand what a "PO" is, but still... that is a real head-scratcher!

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Really Dec 15, 2011

It appears to be an English speaker and it really is PO. I can't imagine who could accept a job without one. The agency says they only issue POs at the end of the month. Strange.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:12
English to German
+ ...
PO = Payment Order? Dec 15, 2011

I have worked with several outsourcers who send bank transfers only once and usually by the end of the month. If you happened to send your invoice later than the 21st of a month for example, you had to wait a little bit longer for your money...

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:12
English to German
+ ...
Addendum: Payment Orders once a month Dec 16, 2011

I actually like that - you can count on money in your account by the first of the month when all the major expenses are due at once. Better than running to the mailbox to see if your check has arrived.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Must be Dec 16, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I actually like that - you can count on money in your account by the first of the month when all the major expenses are due at once. Better than running to the mailbox to see if your check has arrived.

Yes, they must mean Payment Order rather than the "Purchase Order" some agencies require as a prerequisite.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Payment Orders Dec 16, 2011

There are several agencies I have worked for who issue either a Word/Purchase Order or a Vendor ID # before I've started working on the project, but stipulated that they only issue Payment Orders at the end of each month to be paid 30 days later.

Like nicole and neilmac, I believe that in your case PO stands for the payment order.

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:12
Japanese to English
Must they? Dec 16, 2011

neilmac wrote:

Yes, they must mean Payment Order rather than the "Purchase Order" some agencies require as a prerequisite.

I would check first. Juuuust in case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange job post

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search