Auto-entrepreneur in other country than France
Thread poster: Active Translations

Active Translations
Local time: 03:36
Dec 19, 2011

Hi,

In France, one of the advantages of the auto-entrepreneur regime is that no VAT is charged on invoices.

Would anybody know another country where a similar system is applied ?

Thanks and regards,
Sam

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Germany Dec 19, 2011

Here in Germany small businesses mustn't include the VAT in the invoice.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:36
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Pretty much all of them, I believe Dec 19, 2011

Hello Sam,

That was actually true of small businesses in France even before the advent of the AE structure, and I think it's true of most of the EU countries, although the limits vare enormously. I suggest you look at the enormous threads devoted to the VAT changes that came in on 01/01/2010 (in all languages).

Sheila

MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to English
+ ...
Portugal Dec 19, 2011

Same applies for me here in Portugal, I do not charge my clients VAT, but as in most places there is a threshold, after which it could be advantages to opt in!

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
the advantages of AE are... Dec 19, 2011

1) you know exactly what you owe towards social/retirement contributions at all times (no surprises)
2) the administrative procedures for declaring revenue (and paying contributions) are simplified

The VAT issue should be neutral, it is not really an advantage, in fact it could even be to your disadvantage ! The only advantage is that you don't have to spend any time calculating and declaring it, but as Sheila mentioned, a similar threshold exists in most countries.

Active Translations
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 19, 2011

Thank you all for your replies. They've been very useful.
I had no idea that this system was applied at the european level.
Thanks again!

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
VAT declaration Dec 20, 2011

Lori Cirefice wrote:

The VAT issue should be neutral, it is not really an advantage, in fact it could even be to your disadvantage ! The only advantage is that you don't have to spend any time calculating and declaring it, but as Sheila mentioned, a similar threshold exists in most countries.

I was under the impression that you still had to declare the VAT as an Autoentrepreneur, even though you don't charge it on invoices, due to the reverse VAT law? Is that wrong, or is that one of those French laws that only applies if your local administrative contact knows about it?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No comprendo Dec 20, 2011

I don't understand what this is about, since I work as a self-employed translator (autónomo) in Spain. I don't have any physical premises as a "place of business" so don't really consider myself as "owning" anything, but I do charge all my non-academic clients IVA/VAT which I have to pay to Hacienda every 3 months (whether the clients have paid me or not, I hasten to add). AFAIK, literary works and research papers are still VAT-exempt in Spain.

I usually impute the IRPF (Income Tax) to the client unless otherwise specified. It's not a problem for me, and as long as the clients eventually pay up I'm happy, although doing the VAT numbers every quarter is not my favourite activity or indeed my strong point.

[Edited at 2011-12-20 11:05 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
@ Jane and neilmac Dec 20, 2011

JaneD wrote:
I was under the impression that you still had to declare the VAT as an Autoentrepreneur, even though you don't charge it on invoices, due to the reverse VAT law?

You're right that we do do that, but it only applies when invoicing EU clients in other countries, Jane. For French-based clients there's just a note on the invoice that we have an exemption.

neilmac wrote:
I don't understand what this is about, since I work as a self-employed translator (autónomo) in Spain. I don't have any physical premises as a "place of business" so don't really consider myself as "owning" anything, but I do charge all my non-academic clients IVA/VAT

We can do that in France, too, if we choose or if we earn a lot. The AE status is just a mega-simple way of working for those of us who don't expect to earn too much in a year. I hasten to add that, in my case, my low earnings are a result of part-time working rather than low rates.

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-entrepreneur in other country than France

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search