Contracting for film translation
Thread poster: NETWHIT51

NETWHIT51  Identity Verified
United States
Jan 24, 2012

Does anyone have experience contracting with filmmakers?

I have completed a draft transcription/translation of a DVD-interview for a filmmaker. It is long, 2 1/4 hrs. and circa forty pages. I verbally agreed to do the translation in exchange for: 1) film credits; 2) credit in any published documents relating to the film; 3) a promise to allow me to do the voice-over of my translation; and 4) a percentage-to-be-determined of any income that the filmmaker receives in the future.

I have yet to deliver my draft. I have known the filmmaker for several months and trust him, so far. I am about to deliver my draft, at which time he would like to put our verbal agreement into a contract. He intends to provide the form; however, I have found that there are literally hundreds of contract forms relating to film work, though I can't find anything relating to translation. I would like to be more knowledgeable going into the agreement.

What advice can you give me?

Many thanks!

sbrowne
Local time: 15:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
probable sources of information Feb 7, 2012

NETWHIT51 wrote:

Does anyone have experience contracting with filmmakers?

I have completed a draft transcription/translation of a DVD-interview for a filmmaker. It is long, 2 1/4 hrs. and circa forty pages. I verbally agreed to do the translation in exchange for: 1) film credits; 2) credit in any published documents relating to the film; 3) a promise to allow me to do the voice-over of my translation; and 4) a percentage-to-be-determined of any income that the filmmaker receives in the future.

I have yet to deliver my draft. I have known the filmmaker for several months and trust him, so far. I am about to deliver my draft, at which time he would like to put our verbal agreement into a contract. He intends to provide the form; however, I have found that there are literally hundreds of contract forms relating to film work, though I can't find anything relating to translation. I would like to be more knowledgeable going into the agreement.

What advice can you give me?

Many thanks!

Hi NETWHIT51, sorry for the delay and hope it's not too late, or in any case this info might be useful to you in the future or to others right now.

I suggest that you watch some subtitled (video) films and contact the agencies that acted upon those films; you can then Google them and place your inquiry to them.

So far I can only think of "palmera records" (www.palmerarecords.com, but I'm not certain).

Hope this helps,

Sylvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contracting for film translation

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search