Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:46
Member (2017)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 30, 2012

Hello,

I am in the process of establishing myself. I have contacted a translation Agency but they are asking for my registration/tax/vat code. I am just a freelancer, how can this codes apply to me ? Is it a common practice when joining an Agency ? If so, how can I obtain these or one of these codes ??

Thank you

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
China Jan 31, 2012

As a self-employed freelancer this is normal - it should be whatever Tax Code and/or VAT Code (or equivalents) Chinese law requires you to have.

[Edited at 2012-01-31 17:38 GMT]

Marcel Gomez  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:46
Member (2017)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
China Feb 1, 2012

Thank you,

I think maybe you think I am doing business in China with a business visa.

But the thing is that I have been here on a student visa and I do it in my free time. Chinese agency never asked for it and I was working with them smoothly. Now I contacted a European Agency they are asking me for this code.

Does this still apply in my case ??

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:46
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It applies to everyone Feb 1, 2012

speedjounetsu wrote:
But the thing is that I have been here on a student visa and I do it in my free time. Chinese agency never asked for it and I was working with them smoothly. Now I contacted a European Agency they are asking me for this code.

I have absolutely no idea of employment legislation in China - maybe it is quite legal for you to work, maybe you have just been lucky. But European agencies are reasonably strictly controlled (at least, they fear the consequences if they are checked on). They have to account for payments in and out.

So, all you can do is say you are a student without any codes and see whether they still give you the job. Maybe you'll have to restrict your work to Chinese clients.

Sheila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registration/tax/vat code ??

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search