Thread poster: George Trail

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:40
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2012

Yesterday I completed a translation job for a Lithuanian agency. What happened was I submitted the related the confidentiality agreement then I sent them the translated document 2 hours later. But then they said that I filled in one of the pages of the confidentiality agreement incorrectly; I was supposed to include my name, my address and my "identity code". I had to ask what they meant by "identity code" and this morning they said they were talking about my passport number for some reason... let's just say I have my suspicions. Do you think that they have something to hide?

Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Everything is possible... Feb 1, 2012

But they wanted your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), I suppose.

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Bureaucratic requirement? Feb 1, 2012

I don't know about Lithuania specifically, but in some countries (including Romania and Bulgaria), citizens are assigned some sort of "identification number"; there are various names for it. If so, perhaps the agency isn't exactly sure what to request from someone in the UK; the nearest thing, I suppose, would be a National Insurance number, though that is only assigned at age 16 to the best of my memory, rather than at birth. This might (or might not!) contain some relevant information - I see that Lithuania is included:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identification_number

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
UK is different Feb 1, 2012

If you are a UK citizen, you will be used to NOT having to lug an ID card or number about with you, but most other countries do require one and in cases like this when we don't have an actual ID card or number, they will ask for your passport number as the next best thing, for tax purposes etc.

For example, I live in Spain and until a few years ago had a Spanish resident's ID card, but they did away with those a few years ago and now I am obliged to carry a residence permit (a piece of paper which, funnily enough, clearly states "this document is not valid for identification purposes") along with my passport at all times. Some supermarkets won't even accept a credit or debit card with a PIN unless you also show them your ID...

I don't see the company's request in this case as suspicious - after all, what good does knowing your passport number do anyone else?

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:40
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Contract Feb 1, 2012

Hi George,

Did you have to sign a contract? (not a PO) If so, then your ID # is (might be) required for their records to ensure proper taxation and payment.

Several months ago I received the same request from a client in Russia, and was assured that this information will be kept confidential, but was required by Russian (tax) law. I did send that information and have thus found a very good client.icon_smile.gif

You might want to ask your client why exactly they are needing your passport/local ID #.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Thayenga

BeaDeer  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Intracommunitary VAT ID Feb 2, 2012

... consisting of the prefix for your country and your tax ID (in Spain, this would be "ES" followed by the CIF).

Whether you're registered for VAT or not, these are the rules for doing business within the EU since 2010, for anyone domiciled in the EU.

[Edited at 2012-02-02 13:54 GMT]

BeaDeer  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Link to Europa site where your business partner can validate your VAT ID Feb 2, 2012

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Dear George, Feb 2, 2012

Today I signed a renovation of my permanent contract, third yeard consecutive, with one of my agencies and just checked it - yes, there are both my ID and passport numbers included. This requirement is quite common in Lithuanian, control over control, so no reasons for worries, I'd say.
If you wish, PM me, I'll tell how serious is the agency. By the way, agreement signature itself shows a certain level of transparency and seriousness.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking me for my passport number

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search