Thread poster: Stéphanie Denton (X)

Stéphanie Denton (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:50
French to English
+ ...
Feb 7, 2012

Hey guys

Just writing to ask your view points on this as I am about to post a job posting.

I am a volunteer for Cancer Research UK, and am actively promoting Race for Life and Relay for Life this year.

I was talking to the Director, and telling her about me, my company, etc. and she asked me if we'd be interested in working pro-bono for them. I, of course, said yes, however, I know that some agencies will use pro-bono as an excuse to get free work, which isn't the case here. Wondering about how to word the job posting, as it really is for a good cause.

Thoughts/opinions welcome.

Thanks

Steph

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:50
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TWB Feb 7, 2012

Hi Stephanie,

How about going through Translators Without Borders? I'm not sure what, where, how etc. but maybe that will make it more valid to potential pro-bono suppliers.

I would imagine many translators, including me, would be suspicious about such work for the very reason you mentioned. It would be different if it was done directly for the organisation, I think.

Hope that helps,
Michał

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Valid point Feb 7, 2012

Michal Glowacki wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

How about going through Translators Without Borders? I'm not sure what, where, how etc. but maybe that will make it more valid to potential pro-bono suppliers.

I would imagine many translators, including me, would be suspicious about such work for the very reason you mentioned. It would be different if it was done directly for the organisation, I think.

Hope that helps,
Michał

Yes, agreed. I know myself that if I got approached by an agency to do pro-bono work i'd run for the hills...
I may contact TWB, but CR have said they'd like to work with me as I work for them. Tangled web much?

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Tangled or not Feb 7, 2012

Well, maybe you can offer to TWB that you will manage the project(s) for Cancer Research on behalf of them. This way, they get a volunteer, Cancer Research works with you and TWB provides credentials that it's real and not a scam.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Feb 7, 2012

Michal Glowacki wrote:

Well, maybe you can offer to TWB that you will manage the project(s) for Cancer Research on behalf of them. This way, they get a volunteer, Cancer Research works with you and TWB provides credentials that it's real and not a scam.

Great idea, thanksicon_smile.gif

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Posting pro bono jobs on ProZ.com Feb 7, 2012

Hi Stephanie,

The requirement for posting pro bono jobs on ProZ.com is that you include a link in your job posting to an online location where the non-profit status of the organization is substantiated. This allows folks considering applying for the job to (1) confirm the status of the organization and (2) determine whether the organization's cause is something they personally want to underwrite by doing contributing their work.

See http://www.proz.com/siterules/jobs_posting/1.2#1.2

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 7, 2012

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

The requirement for posting pro bono jobs on ProZ.com is that you include a link in your job posting to an online location where the non-profit status of the organization is substantiated. This allows folks considering applying for the job to (1) confirm the status of the organization and (2) determine whether the organization's cause is something they personally want to underwrite by doing contributing their work.

See http://www.proz.com/siterules/jobs_posting/1.2#1.2

Thank you Yolanda, much appreciatedicon_smile.gif

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Handle it yourself Feb 7, 2012

Creating a pro bono team can be a very enriching experience. You will get to know the translators, you can communicate with them directly, and develop a very strong working relationship that can extend far beyond your common pro bono work.

The automatic system of Translators Without Borders, as described by Enrique here has its merits. The platform is well suited for handling huge volumes by reducing the time spent on project management. Automatic notifications are sent out, and the pool of translators is huge. It is a convenient solution for many outsourcers.

For moderate volumes that pool may be just too huge:
The system will first determine the available pool (for instance all the volunteers working in the English to Spanish pair, currently 135). Then the volunteers are sorted in a random order and notifications are sent out in batches of 5 separated 15 minutes.

Instead, you may decide to create your small regular group of translators, communicating directly with each other, discussing terminology in a private forum or a mailing list, taking turns in proofing each others' work, etc. That is how the Solidarités team works. You can find a rather detailed account here.

Best,
Attila

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great info Feb 7, 2012

Attila Piróth wrote:

Creating a pro bono team can be a very enriching experience. You will get to know the translators, you can communicate with them directly, and develop a very strong working relationship that can extend far beyond your common pro bono work.

The automatic system of Translators Without Borders, as described by Enrique here has its merits. The platform is well suited for handling huge volumes by reducing the time spent on project management. Automatic notifications are sent out, and the pool of translators is huge. It is a convenient solution for many outsourcers.

For moderate volumes that pool may be just too huge:
The system will first determine the available pool (for instance all the volunteers working in the English to Spanish pair, currently 135). Then the volunteers are sorted in a random order and notifications are sent out in batches of 5 separated 15 minutes.

Instead, you may decide to create your small regular group of translators, communicating directly with each other, discussing terminology in a private forum or a mailing list, taking turns in proofing each others' work, etc. That is how the Solidarités team works. You can find a rather detailed account here.

Best,
Attila

Thank you very muchicon_smile.gif

Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pro bono Feb 7, 2012

I have worked pro bono for a few local NGOs and I loved the work, it was always very interesting and I could see what it was used for after I completed it.

However, I only did the work I could do myself never outsourced it.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your own work only Feb 7, 2012

If you want to do something pro-bono, then I would submit that you do it all yourself, like Paula says: "I only did the work I could do myself never outsourced it."

Don't expect others to do it.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
English to German
+ ...
With Paula Feb 8, 2012

Paula Hernández wrote:

However, I only did the work I could do myself never outsourced it.

I do quite a lot of non-profit work, and I do not expect my name to be mentioned anytime or anywhere. The mere thought, however, of investing my time, my energy and my know-how to enable another company to be able to use my work for their PR purposes is out of the question.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working Pro-bono for agencies

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search