Off topic: What should this reply of an agency mean?
Thread poster: PRAKAASH

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:36
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 16, 2012

Hi Friends,

I quoted for a job posted in proz.com around 3-4 weeks ago. I got the following response after a day or two of my response,

"Please be informed that we have finalised with another translator for this project and find your offer not very 'inviting' nor 'exciting' for the present project."

What I understood was that either they were looking for low or competitive rates. Am I right in analyzing the meaning?

Please feel free to respond.

Thanks,
PRAKAASH

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who cares? Apr 16, 2012

Who cares? You don't want to work for them, period.

Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:06
English to Russian
+ ...
your quote Apr 16, 2012

This means your quote didn't impress them (for whatever reason) and they chose another translator.

Hope this helps.

Mark Cole  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:06
Polish to English
+ ...
Their reply speaks for itself Apr 16, 2012

It means they're too stingy to invest in a PM with a proper command of English, let alone pay decent money for a decent translator.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My take Apr 16, 2012

PRAKAASH wrote:
"Please be informed that we have finalised with another translator for this project and find your offer not very 'inviting' nor 'exciting' for the present project."

I'm assuming that the two words were in quotes in the original message you received. I believe you can take it to mean:
"Please be informed that we have finalised with another translator for this project and find your offer way, way too high for the present project."

i.e. you wanted double, 3 times, maybe even four times what they were prepared to pay.

At least they were polite about it!

Sheila

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Perhaps.. Apr 17, 2012

they wanted you to include an "exciting" or "Inviting" picture of yourself... Sorry, that was a joke. The only good thing I see in their reply is that indeed at least they sent a couple of minutes to reply you, not all translation agencies do that.

Kind regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2012-04-17 02:38 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:06
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Didn't you get it? Apr 17, 2012

PRAKAASH wrote:

To me it is quite clear: they wanted you to charge 1/3 of the rate you proposed. That would feel inviting to them. I'd say they keep the other translator, who made an "inviting" offer but will probably make a mess of the job.

I see a chance that after the cheap translator's work they will find your offer more inviting.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear hear Apr 17, 2012

Mark Cole wrote:

It means they're too stingy to invest in a PM with a proper command of English, let alone pay decent money for a decent translator.

Exactly!.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What should this reply of an agency mean?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search