Intra-community number for Argentinian translators?
Thread poster: Martin Damiano Alcorta

Martin Damiano Alcorta  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:30
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
Apr 23, 2012

Hi there!

I've been contacted recently to begin a localization project. The only problem is that, in order to begin, I need a "Intra-community number". I almost panicked when I found out that I had no idea what this was! But since then (two days) I've been doing some research about this, but the only information I was capable to find was that this number (which some say is very much like a VAT number) is that only europeans can acquire it. My question is: is this number restricted only to Europe? If it's not: how can I get it? I live in Argentina, thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Martín

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you a EU citizen living in the EU? Apr 23, 2012

I think you are not, and hence you don't have, and can't possibly have, an intra-comunitary VAT number. You should explain this to your customer.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:30
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Where do you pay your taxes? Apr 23, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Are you a EU citizen living in the EU?

I think you are not, and hence you don't have, and can't possibly have, an intra-comunitary VAT number. You should explain this to your customer.

Just to make it clear, your place of birth and/or your passport have nothing to do with this. It's whether or not you are "resident for tax purposes" in one of the EU countries, or not. In other words, an Italian whose main tax bill is to the Indian authorities does not have this number (which, as you say is also a VAT number), whereas an Indian registered for tax in Italy does.

Sheila

[Edited at 2012-04-23 08:05 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right! Apr 23, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Just to make it clear, your place of birth and/or your passport have nothing to do with this. It's whether or not you are "resident for tax purposes" in one of the EU countries, or not.

Indeed you are right! My apologies.

Member (2012)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, so... Apr 23, 2012

that sheds some light on this. Thanks Tomás and Sheila!
@Sheila: Do you know how can anyone obtain an intra-community number? Do you know any info such as websites, etc?

Thanks!

Martín

Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Intra-community VAT ID Apr 23, 2012

Martin Damiano Alcorta wrote:

that sheds some light on this. Thanks Tomás and Sheila!
@Sheila: Do you know how can anyone obtain an intra-community number? Do you know any info such as websites, etc?

Thanks!

Martín

As the designation "intra-community" says, only EU tax residents can ever obtain such a number. If you are tax-resident outside the EU, you have no such option.

Member (2012)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Ok! Apr 23, 2012

Thanks a lot Steffen! That makes sense, very simple indeed...

Cheers,

Martín

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
CUIT Apr 23, 2012

Hi Martín,

I was asked once for my intra-community number by an European translation agency.

I explained that I paid taxes in Argentina and we agreed that I would include my tax ID (CUIT) and the following legend in my invoices.

VAT exempted according to Law 20.631, sec. 7, par. d)

That was enough for them.

Hope this helps

Marina

Member (2012)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Apr 23, 2012

for this valuable information Marina that will not only help me, but other fellow translators as well. This is very very helpful indeed!

Cheers!

Martín

sbrowne
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed it will! Apr 27, 2012

Martin Damiano Alcorta wrote:

for this valuable information Marina that will not only help me, but other fellow translators as well. This is very very helpful indeed!

Cheers!

Martín

I'm also a translator living in Argentina and didn't know I could be asked for such number. Marina's reply enlightened me also, as I sometimes work for clients in EU

Cheers

Sylvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intra-community number for Argentinian translators?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search