Weekend work
Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 19, 2012

I've noticed for some time that the agencies I work for are offering more and more work on Friday to be turned in on Monday, and less work during the week. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

I am trying to free up my weekends to work on my own projects, so I find this quite annoying.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not an issue May 19, 2012

I haven't noticed any change myself, but I always work weekends anyway and today, since I don't really have anything desperately urgent to do, I'm almost at a loose end...

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Transfer your projects to me :))) May 19, 2012

That is not the agency but the customer. He wants the projects ready by Monday morning when he arrives to work..

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ugh May 19, 2012

Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge wrote:

That is not the agency but the customer. He wants the projects ready by Monday morning when he arrives to work..

I still don't like it, and wish they'd take care of their business Monday through Friday...otherwise translation turns into a weekend job...hey, maybe I should take time off for my other stuff during the week instead!icon_biggrin.gif

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe... May 19, 2012

... their (end-clients') "usual" vendors (including in-house translators or employees who do translation work) don't work on weekends, so they have to outsource.

I do some work on weekends, and also take some free time on business days, however if a client requests work that must be done in a weekend, and my weekend's planned working hours are already taken, they'll have to face a 100% surcharge (the 50% surcharge applies to weekdays work demanding much more than my 3,000 words/day per individual project standard allocation). Otherwise I'd only get weekend/urgent work, nothing 'normal' ever.

Btw, I didn't invent these surcharge figures, just copied them from the Brazilian law on sworn translations, so I can have one single standard.

Yet I warn clients that it's not worth it, unless they really need that translation on Monday morning. Most of them admit it's some kind of a safety net; if I can guarantee that I'll have it delivered no later than Wednesday noon at regular rates, it will be okay.

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The trick is in the wording May 19, 2012

There are seven days a week and only five of them are working days which is when we are supposed to work. The PMs definietely work only on workdays.

I work on weekends only if I have taken on more work that I should during the week. If a client sends a file on Friday, I politely explain that the only working day left till Monday is almost over and the deadline is not long enough. The only time one PM tried to request that I work throughout the weekend, I asked, if she would be working the coming weekend. The end client then extended the deadline without any complaining.

Of course, if the client is willing to pay a hefty surcharge, the job is done for Monday.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I haven't noticed anything like this May 19, 2012

Amy Duncan wrote:

I've noticed for some time that the agencies I work for are offering more and more work on Friday to be turned in on Monday, and less work during the week. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Thinking about it, it's a long time I didn't get any weekend job, for which anyway I always charge a surcharge, of course.

Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice, but... May 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure that the agencies I work for won't accept my charging more for the weekend, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. In any case, I don't particularly want to work on the weekends any more, even if I end up making less money. I've got some other irons on the fire that I'd rather dedicate myself to on Saturday and Sunday. icon_smile.gif

Hermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
English to German
+ ...
no opportunity to deal with queries ... May 20, 2012

...or any other issues which might arise, unless they provide a contact for such eventualities. But this is usually not the case.

This is the main reason why I refuse to accept jobs arriving late on Friday and expected first thing Monday morning.

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
You really should May 20, 2012

Amy Duncan wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the agencies I work for won't accept my charging more for the weekend, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Or do you actually believe that agencies don't charge more to their customer? Every customer is prepared to pay more in such a case, unless he is in bad faith.

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Enjoy it May 20, 2012

I often enjoy working on weekends - when the weather is bad and my children are staying with their father - so I have a quiet time doing something I enjoy and earning money at the same time.

But I do not make it a habit and my clients know that.

Annett

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another possibility May 20, 2012

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Or do you actually believe that agencies don't charge more to their customer?

Maybe not.

I've seen a different thing happen. An agency posts - or offers directly - a difficult, highly specialized, or otherwise demanding job on a given Monday. Requested turnaround is one week, i.e. for the Monday next week. However they say my rate is too high, their counteroffer being, e.g. 60% of my rate. So I decline.

On Wednesday they contact me, offering 80% of my rate, same delivery date. I tell them 'no'.

On Friday they contact me again using a more insistent tone, and accepting my standard rate, while the deadline remains unchanged.

If I gave in, I'd wind up the very same job on a weekend, which I'd otherwise have an entire week to do, for exactly the same compensation.

Sometimes, though not so often, they contact me later, saying that the end-client found some 'issues' in the translation they delivered, and asking whether I'd be available to proofread it, at my standard rate for proofreading, i.e. 1/3 of the translation rate.

However I always state clearly that my proofreading rate applies to competent human translation, which most likely will not apply here. Chances are that most of the job will justify redoing, as my rates are plain market average for what I deliver. So it's a 'no' again.

I don't join these 'tug-of-war' games. If that's what they want to play, they may single-handedly pull their rope all the way back home.

Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
My experience May 20, 2012

I hate work from Agencies for Friday afternoon, because the their Client has asked so. But the Clients soften ask so, because they want it by Monday morning. I like working over the Weekend and often convince the Agency to convince their Client accordingly.

The only differece to the early days of my career (1980ies) is, that the Agencies paid 50% more for Weekend work. This has disappered and also to direct Clients I do not charge more. Tempi passati!

Rolf

[Bearbeitet am 2012-05-20 11:15 GMT]

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Russian
+ ...
Suum cuique May 20, 2012

Some people have a steady schedule, some don't. Personally, I don't care when to work, and I find that my clients are usually pleased to know that I answer calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Not a single client has abused the privilege of being able to call me anytime. So, the net result is positive.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I charge extra if a job 'forces' me to work at weekends. May 20, 2012

I may choose to work at weekends anyway, and take time off midweek, but that is none of the client's business. In the winter I often work in the evenings - then I can get some fresh air and exercise while there is daylight outside. In December and January that means between 10 am and 3.30 pm at these lattitudes if the weather is grey!

I have one client in particular who mails late in the evening with several hours' work for delivery at 10 am next day.

As a matter of principle I almost always get the deadline extended, so I can do the job in normal working hours.

The same with jobs that come on Friday for delivery Monday, or where the deadline is tight and I can only meet it by working over the weekend.

Simply ask: it is surprising how many clients can wait until Tuesday or Wednesday if you ask for weekend rates. You are earning a living because you have a life, after all!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weekend work

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search