https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/227287-the_bait_and_switch_not_just_for_translating.html

The bait-and-switch: Not just for translating
Thread poster: Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
Jun 18, 2012

I have often seen translators voicing their discontent about the fact that they had been requested to submit CVs and other pertinent information for "potential large projects" (especially EU bids?), only to never hear back from the agent/intermediary. So when I found this newspaper article today, it seemed like something translators might want to know. After all, misery loves company: You are not ... See more
I have often seen translators voicing their discontent about the fact that they had been requested to submit CVs and other pertinent information for "potential large projects" (especially EU bids?), only to never hear back from the agent/intermediary. So when I found this newspaper article today, it seemed like something translators might want to know. After all, misery loves company: You are not alone.

Study: Nearly one-third of small contractors report ‘bait and switching’

"Nearly a third of subcontractors reported having at some point been “stiffed” on a contract with a prime, according to a recent American Express survey."

[Edited at 2012-06-18 21:09 GMT]
Collapse

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
English to Spanish
That is exactly what is happening to us Jun 19, 2012

Janet Rubin wrote:

I have often seen translators voicing their discontent about the fact that they had been requested to submit CVs and other pertinent information for "potential large projects" (especially EU bids?), only to never hear back from the agent/intermediary. So when I found this newspaper article today, it seemed like something translators might want to know. After all, misery loves company: You are not alone.

Study: Nearly one-third of small contractors report ‘bait and switching’

"Nearly a third of subcontractors reported having at some point been “stiffed” on a contract with a prime, according to a recent American Express survey."

[Edited at 2012-06-18 21:09 GMT]

Thank you, Janet.

What is described in the article unfortunately sounds all too familiar. Damn agencies!

Miguel

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Link not working) Jun 19, 2012

The link takes me to what looks like the Washington Post site, but I can't see how to access the article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/study-nearly-one-third-of-small-contractors-report-bait-and-switching/2012/06/15/gJQASaSqfV_story.html
... See more
The link takes me to what looks like the Washington Post site, but I can't see how to access the article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/on-small-business/study-nearly-one-third-of-small-contractors-report-bait-and-switching/2012/06/15/gJQASaSqfV_story.html

[Edited at 2012-06-19 09:02 GMT]
Collapse

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Link working for me Jun 19, 2012

Last night the link contained an extra "http", but this was corrected hours ago and after trying it about a minute ago, it worked for me (twice)... sorry, I don't know what else to tell you, perhaps try putting the quote into Google...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:23
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly Jun 19, 2012

Exactly why our office is not interested in EU contracts unless it is agreed, black on white in a written contract, that the agency will send us all work derived from the bid.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The bait-and-switch: Not just for translating

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »