Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Anyone here sufficiently stupid for this job?
Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jul 10, 2012

I've just received an email, via Proz, looking for a backward translator.

Are you backward enough to apply? I fear I may be too intelligent.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not stupid enough... Jul 10, 2012

there is another one asking for "forward" translators...

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:50
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Nothing stupid in back translations Jul 10, 2012

They are quite important, for example, in translation of medical questionnaires. I don't think it is ok to call "stupid" something with which we aren't acquainted with.

Natalia

P.S. Not everyone in the world is excellent in English. No reasons for laughing, imho.

[Edited at 2012-07-10 15:18 GMT]

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 00:50
Chinese to English
On melborp! Jul 10, 2012

Sdrawkcab si yllaucta ym evitan egaugnal, ylno siht yllis etis t'now esingocer ti. Yletanutrof ym etar fo 1 dnuop rep drow si eht emas revewoh uoy kool ta ti.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hilarious Jul 10, 2012

It's basic English to understand the meaning of the word "backward" but apparently some people don't.

[Edited at 2012-07-10 12:20 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Opportunity knocks Jul 10, 2012

Wow! I think I'll apply for both.
J

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
There's a website somewhere for doing this (really!) Jul 10, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

Sdrawkcab si yllaucta ym evitan egaugnal, ylno siht yllis etis t'now esingocer ti. Yletanutrof ym etar fo 1 dnuop rep drow si eht emas revewoh uoy kool ta ti.

Tut, tut. There "yllaucta" a typo in there.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree Jul 10, 2012

Natalie wrote:

They are quite important, for example, in translation of medical questionnaires. I don't think it is ok to call "stupid" something with which we aren't acquainted with.

Natalia

Done that too. Not that stupid in some fields.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Missing the point Jul 10, 2012

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

I think you are missing the point, I'm sure Tom knows what a back translation is, what he's mentioned is the fact that instead of asking for a "translator to do a back translation" they are asking for a "backward translator" and these are two very different things

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
YEs, and--- Jul 10, 2012

Alex Lago wrote:

sure Tom knows what a back translation is, what he's mentioned is the fact that instead of asking for a "translator to do a back translation" they are asking for a "backward translator" and these are two very different things [/quote]

Yes Alex, and I'm finding some of the responses quite amusingicon_smile.gif

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Oops Jul 10, 2012

Alex Lago wrote:

I think you are missing the point, I'm sure Tom knows what a back translation is, what he's mentioned is the fact that instead of asking for a "translator to do a back translation" they are asking for a "backward translator" and these are two very different things

Now I see. Time for me to have a rest, I think.icon_smile.gif

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:50
Russian to English
+ ...
It is called back-translation Jul 10, 2012

The type of translation where you ask the person to translate something back into the original language is called back-translation. Backwards is backwards. Alice in Wonderland, sort of.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
well... Jul 10, 2012

after my answer, it should have been clear enough... icon_smile.gif

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Getting it write Jul 10, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

When I was a kid, we went through a phase of playing with language and one of them was the sdrawkcab thing. I learnt to sing the words of some songs backwards and can still threaten to do them as a party piece if not forcibly restrained! There was usually a consensus that the sdrawkab words were pronounced phonetically as spelt, so for example "nice" would be pronounded "ekin"...

NB: The ad should have stated "back translators" not "backward" - showing how sheep and goats tend to sort themselves out if left to their own devices.

Slightly off topic, and considering my own penchant for more - ahem - colourful language, I wonder if it would be permissible to swear on-site in sdrawkcab? I have a few choice epithets I'd like to fire off about a certain kudoz asker who seems to be doing a longish translation almost totally on the goodwill of prozers this past week or so, repeatedly posting whole sentences. Maybe they could consider paying the answerers a percentage?

[Edited at 2012-07-10 14:22 GMT]

Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
English is the most broken language in the world... Jul 10, 2012

icon_smile.gif

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone here sufficiently stupid for this job?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search