https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/23482-market_of_translation_and_interpreting.html

Market of translation and interpreting
Thread poster: Denis Kazakov
Denis Kazakov
Denis Kazakov
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 1, 2004

I have been working as a freelancer since 1997 (English-Russian). In my experience, the demand for translating is much higher than for interpreting, i.e. most of orders I get are for translation and it is very seldom that I am asked to interpred. I wonder if this is the general state of affair or it is just my fate?
And are simultaneous interpreters in demand? Is it worthwhile to spend money and time to become one?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Factors Aug 2, 2004

Some of the factors might include where you are located and what kind of contacts you have. Organizers of meetings, conferences, seminars, etc. at which simultaneous interpreting is required nearly always prefer local people so they can avoid extra costs for travel, lodging, meals and travel time, etc. So if you are at or near a location where such events are frequent then it would be a good business to get into.

It might be a good idea to find out exactly what sort of events of tha
... See more
Some of the factors might include where you are located and what kind of contacts you have. Organizers of meetings, conferences, seminars, etc. at which simultaneous interpreting is required nearly always prefer local people so they can avoid extra costs for travel, lodging, meals and travel time, etc. So if you are at or near a location where such events are frequent then it would be a good business to get into.

It might be a good idea to find out exactly what sort of events of that kind are happening in your area and find out who the sponsors might be, such as educational institutions, business or industrial associations, government agencies, companies, etc. and try to make contacts there. Also find out what agencies or colleagues are getting this business and contact them, because at any given time they may need you on their team. Some events can require a fair number of interpreters at certain times such as when they have breakout groups.

Many times other colleagues in your area who are already in the business can be the best sources of information. And remember, the day may come when they need YOU, not as someone to fear as a competitor, but to help them satisfy their clients.
Collapse

Denis Kazakov
Denis Kazakov
Russian Federation
Local time: 00:20
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Factors Aug 2, 2004

Interesting data. Thank you for the useful hints. I live in Moscow, by the way. I have worked mostly with translation agencies. Maybe I should try and contact conference organizers and people like that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Market of translation and interpreting

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »