Client demanding a translator's contact information
Thread poster: Kristel Kiesel

Kristel Kiesel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2012

Is an end client entitled to a reviewer's contact information? What are the conventions when a client makes this kind of request?

Direct link Reply with quote

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:43
English to Dutch
+ ...
understandable from the end client's point of view Oct 17, 2012

but perhaps not desirable for an agency. Usually agencies stipulate that translators may not approach clients that they got to know through them and it would surprise me if a similar stipulation would not be in place between agency and client. It all depends on how rigid the agency is about such issues - they are usually fairly rigid, and rightfully so.

I ran into it a few times, that an end client approached me directly after I had done some work for them via an agency. In both cases the agency was very easy with it, because it turned out that the agency was no longer the preferred translation vendor but the people who contacted me wanted to deal specifically with me. I did notify the agency, though, to be sure they had, as the end client said, no problem with it...

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Who pays the reviewer? Oct 17, 2012

Kristel Kiesel wrote:
Is an end client entitled to a reviewer's contact information?

If the reviewer works for you (i.e. you pay him), then the client is not entitled to that information.

United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My Responsibility Oct 17, 2012

I hired the reviewer, and I feel very uncomfortable sharing her personal information, particularly if that is not a normal or expected thing to do. I can't entirely explain my discomfort, though.

United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too late.... Oct 17, 2012

Too late....the client has already gone over my head in contacting the reviewer. This feels like a tremendous breach of professional trust somehow. Should I apologize to the reviewer?

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:43
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Did they give a reason? Oct 17, 2012

It certainly does seem odd.
Are they just trying to poach the reviewer?
Did they hint at any other reason for bypassing you?

United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No reason! Oct 17, 2012

No reason offered, not even a hint. At least the client let me know that he did it. But now I'm beginning to understand why this sort of thing isn't done. I still haven't invoiced the client for the remainder of my work on the project, and now he has gone over my head, which messes up the lines of communication and feels withering.

Ricardy Ricot  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sorry Oct 18, 2012

So sorry to hear, Kristel

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very unprofessional Oct 18, 2012

Kristel Kiesel wrote:
No reason offered, not even a hint. At least the client let me know that he did it. But now I'm beginning to understand why this sort of thing isn't done. I still haven't invoiced the client for the remainder of my work on the project, and now he has gone over my head, which messes up the lines of communication and feels withering.

In my opinion the customer was most unprofessional. You were the provider, and he should deal with you. If he has any reason to contact the reviewer directly, he should at least let you know.

May I now ask you whether the reviewer has contacted you to ask for your OK to deal with the customer directly? (I hope he has or we would have an unprofessional attitude there as well!)

564354352  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
No, not entitled... Oct 18, 2012

... but sometimes it's just easier for an end client to communicate directly with somebody, be that a translator or a reviewer, rather than questions and answers having to go through an agency. But it should all be done as a clear agreement between all three parties.

United States
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Oct 22, 2012

I apologized to the reviewer and informed the client that I would be charging him for the time spent dealing with the issue, after carefully explaining the problem to him. He was sincerely apologetic. Lesson learned! My thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It's so helpful to have colleagues here at Proz!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client demanding a translator's contact information

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search