Thread poster: Alina Matei

Alina Matei  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:05
English to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2004

Dear all,

I have been asked on a number of occasions if I am ceritified for interpreting or translating for various trades (driving school, graduation papers, etc). I have a degree in languages in my home country (English and French), but I now live and work in the UK. I know what 'certified' means in Romania, but I am very unsure of what thet means in the UK.

Please help with information.

Thanks.

Stefania

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:35
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moving the topic Aug 17, 2004

to the Business Issues forum.

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
See also ITI Aug 17, 2004

Stafania

The following might help as a starting point:

http://www.iti.org.uk/indexMain.html

"FAQ"

4. I need an "official" or "certified" translation, can ITI help me?

For most purposes, this usually requires either using the services of a sworn translator (this would be a translator sworn before a court in a non-UK jurisdiction), or a Fellow (FITI) or Member (MITI) of ITI who may self-certify the translation. You can also have the translation notarised before a Notary Public or Notary Scrivener (usually listed in Yellow Pages). ITI publishes a set of guidelines and seals for self-certification by its members.

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:35
English to German
+ ...
Accredited? Aug 17, 2004

I think that what actually is meant by certified in this case is accredited.

I think that clients who ask whether you are certified for interpreting and translation actually want to know if you have had professional training in these areas or if you can provide any evidence that you are capable of doing the job. In most cases this may be accreditation by a professional association or simply a degree in translation/interpretation.

HTH.

Sonja

Alina Matei  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:05
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 2, 2004

Thanks to everyone who took time to answer. I still don't understand it fully, to be honest, but it helped clarify some of my questions.

Thanks again and I do appologise for not thankign you earlier.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search