Payment from client delayed for long - feedback needed
Thread poster: TRANSNATOR

TRANSNATOR  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 19:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 22, 2013

Like the topic, I'm wondering is anybody here have the same experience? My payment has been delayed for a long time, How should we ask them to pay?

Direct link Reply with quote

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:51
German to Swedish
+ ...
Like this Jan 22, 2013

Using appropriate small claims procedures in the jurisdiction of the debtor.

Pierret Adrien  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to French
+ ...
More info Jan 22, 2013

You should probably be more accurate about your issue if you wish to get helpful answers : who were you working for, in what country, what was the agreed payement delay, how long has it been postponed, etc...

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Joakim Braun Jan 22, 2013

What is "appropriate small claims procedures in the jurisdiction of the debtor"? Can you raise the example? Do you think I could find help on proz.com? Is there anyone on Proz.com could help?

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HELP~PAYMENT DELAYED FOR LONG Jan 22, 2013

Pierret Adrien wrote:

You should probably be more accurate about your issue if you wish to get helpful answers : who were you working for, in what country, what was the agreed payement delay, how long has it been postponed, etc...

Thank you. To make it short here, though I really hate to go to public this way: I were working for a game localization company in the US (I cannot list the name here due to the rule), and there are 4 invoices (960.6 USD in total) should be due by last year.

I have kept writing them since nothing coming to my bank account, and the accountant just apologized to me and said he will make sure to pay. So far I still see nothing coming in, and the last email I received he even said he would pay me the first two invoices, and the rest of the payment will have to wait on the next run...

It really upsets and annoys me. The payment was due for a long time, and I have to kept writing and waiting for their responses. What do you suggest me to do here to protect my right? Is there anyone on Proz.com could help?

[Edited at 2013-01-23 05:35 GMT]

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Example Jan 22, 2013

"Appropriate small claims procedures in the jurisdiction of the debtor" means exactly that. You initiate a procedure against someone who hasn't paid his bills. Exactly how you go about that varies by country.

For instance, if debtor is in the EU, start reading here: http://ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/simplif_accelerat_procedures/simplif_accelerat_procedures_gen_en.htm

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The debtor is in the US Jan 22, 2013

Joakim Braun wrote:

"Appropriate small claims procedures in the jurisdiction of the debtor" means exactly that. You initiate a procedure against someone who hasn't paid his bills. Exactly how you go about that varies by country.

For instance, if debtor is in the EU, start reading here: http://ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/simplif_accelerat_procedures/simplif_accelerat_procedures_gen_en.htm

Thank you, but what if the debtor is in the US?

Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
State by state Jan 22, 2013

In the U.S. you probably need to find out the procedures in the state where the company is registered.

Jean@LA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Leave a message on the Blueboard? Jan 23, 2013

Did you get this job from Proz.com. Have you tried to leave a message on the Blueboard? From what I've learned, that has worked for many other translators.

In addition, I'd keep writing them emails in different ways or even give them a call to politely "nudge" them to take care of this overdue payment of yours.

Unless you can come to the States, I don't think small claims court could help you a lot because even though you win the case, you need to collect the money by yourself.

I have never had any payment issues with my regular clients. For my "irregular" clients, I'd do whatever I can to "remind" them to pay until I get the payment, then I would say no to their future job requests.

You're welcomed to send me a message if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to defend Freelancer's rights and ask companies to pay? Jan 23, 2013

Jean@LA wrote:

Did you get this job from Proz.com. Have you tried to leave a message on the Blueboard? From what I've learned, that has worked for many other translators.

In addition, I'd keep writing them emails in different ways or even give them a call to politely "nudge" them to take care of this overdue payment of yours.

Unless you can come to the States, I don't think small claims court could help you a lot because even though you win the case, you need to collect the money by yourself.

I have never had any payment issues with my regular clients. For my "irregular" clients, I'd do whatever I can to "remind" them to pay until I get the payment, then I would say no to their future job requests.

You're welcomed to send me a message if there's anything else you'd like to know.

Thank you for your message, Yes, I have left message on Blueboard though I really hate to do so.

I do keep writing to their Accounting dept., and their responses start from "we'll make sure to pay" to they "has a limited amount of funds to each run every week", so they will pay the first two.I also wrote to the PM, but I was quite upset that he steps out of this issue, and that really make me wonder that's what freelancer deserves? And the 45 pay days stating on PO is non-sense? Does PO has no legal effect?

[Edited at 2013-01-23 06:07 GMT]

Jean@LA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
PO is legally binding, but again you need to collect the money by yourself... Jan 23, 2013

If it's a large sum of money and you're not willing or confident to wait for "your turn", then (again I was told) you could try the collection agency in the States. Ask Proz.com staff to see if they know any good ones.

Are they filing a bankruptcy or having some kind of cash flow problem? If they have limited fund because they're going out of business, then I'd imagine you won't be the only one asking them to pay.

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is collection agency? Jan 23, 2013

Jean@LA wrote:

If it's a large sum of money and you're not willing or confident to wait for "your turn", then (again I was told) you could try the collection agency in the States. Ask Proz.com staff to see if they know any good ones.

Are they filing a bankruptcy or having some kind of cash flow problem? If they have limited fund because they're going out of business, then I'd imagine you won't be the only one asking them to pay.

I'm wondering what is collection agency?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment from client delayed for long - feedback needed

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search