Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Extremely low rate proposed
Thread poster: parolagiusta

parolagiusta
Local time: 15:34
Italian to English
May 6, 2013

I am new to Proz, though not to translating. I just replied to a job offer and got sent the text with a short turn around time and an incredible low offer. Are there any reviews of this kind of thing or is it "what the market will bear". Obviously I replied that I could not do it for what was proposed.
Sorry if this has been discussed already. Did look but didn't find anything.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:34
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Many past discussions May 6, 2013

I am surprised you did not find anything related to this, as it is a recurring topic.
Have you tried the "Advanced Search" option for the Forums (upper right corner)?
As per ProZ rules, specific outsourcers cannot be discussed here, but there are other venues where you can do that.
For example, on LinkedIn, there is the "Unacceptable Translation Rates Naming & Shaming Group".
Katalin

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Previous discussion on the topic May 6, 2013

I vaguely remember rates being discussed once a long time ago here on Proz.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Ah, Mr. Potter May 6, 2013

I assume that your statement is an expression of a very dry wit. icon_wink.gif Unless you live under a rock or on a desert island without internet, you probably are well aware that there are 3 threads weekly at the minimum and two on Sundays complaining about low rates, also known as dumping prices or slave wages.

Parolagiusta, welcome to ProZ. Just enter "rates", "translation rates" or "low rates", or some variation thereof into the key word search box. You should come up with enough discussion on the topic to keep you busy for weeks...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extremely fast answer proposed May 6, 2013

Reply that your rate is much higher (state the rate) and that you cannot take care of the job with those conditions, always thanking them for their interest. End of the matter!icon_smile.gif

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good news May 6, 2013

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
For example, on LinkedIn, there is the "Unacceptable Translation Rates Naming & Shaming Group".
Katalin

This is great news - I just hope you don't need to sign in to peruse it, as I cancelled my LinkedIn subscription a while ago...

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You do need an account May 7, 2013

neilmac wrote:

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
Katalin

This is great news - I just hope you don't need to sign in to peruse it, as I cancelled my LinkedIn subscription a while ago...

Of course you need to sign in. LinkedIn has free accounts, you don't need a subscription. Then you can join the group.
Katalin

Michelle Kusuda  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple polite response. May 7, 2013

"I am sorry but I cannot work for 0.02 cents per word.

Thank you for offering me the opportunity, nevertheless!"

They came back doubling the initial rate to 0.04 for Italian to English, but it is still so low that it did not merit a response as I do not see myself working for that outsourcer. What surprised me is that it has plenty of 5s from other freelancers! Go figure!

[Edited at 2013-05-07 09:35 GMT]

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
They totally dismissed the rate and offered 20% of rate. May 7, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Reply that your rate is much higher (state the rate) and that you cannot take care of the job with those conditions, always thanking them for their interest. End of the matter!icon_smile.gif

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Wall of courtesy May 7, 2013

A wall of courtesy – "thank you", "unfortunately" etc. – is a good cushion in such situations. Relying on your standards or market standards is also helpful, as it provides justification and lends some authority to what you say. It's more professional to speak in "I/me" terms than in "you" terms, so I'd focus on my rates and standards rather than on the issues with their offer (unless they're someone who can't claim to be ignorant of good practice).

Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
reasonable rates May 7, 2013

You know 5 cents a word is not unreasonable. 4 cents/word might be worth doing for the experience. I do 500-600 words an hour, without any software, so that means 25-30 euros an hour, which I am quite happy with.

Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sorry, Richard. May 7, 2013

"You know 5 cents a word is not unreasonable. 4 cents/word might be worth doing for the experience."

No way!

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 13:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Heh. May 7, 2013

They came back doubling the initial rate to 0.04 for Italian to English, but it is still so low that it did not merit a response as I do not see myself working for that outsourcer. What surprised me is that it has plenty of 5s from other freelancers! Go figure!

This is why it's easier to respond with your preferred rate rather than a vague "I can't work at this rate." That way they never reply and save you the 5 seconds of reading a second email.

Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, but no May 7, 2013

RichardEP wrote:

You know 5 cents a word is not unreasonable. 4 cents/word might be worth doing for the experience. I do 500-600 words an hour, without any software, so that means 25-30 euros an hour, which I am quite happy with.

5 cents certainly is unreasonable in my neck of the woods. I can't raise my family on that kind of money.

United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The rate was stated in quote. May 8, 2013

[/quote]

When you quote $.10 and they come back with $.02 for Italian into English of a fairly technical document, the first time you respond to say that unfortunately you cannot work for such rates.

Why would anyone bother to get a degree in Translation?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extremely low rate proposed

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search