Are there any places online where agencies can leave and read negative feedback about translators?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 7, 2013

If I get into arguments with a customer (a translation agency), regardless of who is in right, is there any place on internet this translation agency can give negative feedback about me for other translation agencies, as a warning (just like there is on ProZ.com for translation agencies where they get rated by freelance translators)?

What ways are there for a translation agency that want to resort to defamation of my freelance translation services?

For example, if a translation agency always is very unclear in his/her communication with me, with the intent to conceal important factors for price and paying such as word count according to CAT-tools such as Trados, and I simply loose my temper and say my clear thoughts about this, how much power does this translation agency to soil my name?

And can this translation agency soil my name openly on forum (like here on Proz.com), or more discretely by networking with other agencies? I asked an agency I have as customer who said there are no such venues for agencies, only for translators to rate bad agencies.

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:25
Member (Apr 2018)
French to English
I don't know about Hong Kong May 7, 2013

but in Europe my former boss took advantage of being an active member of the national chamber of translation companies) to sully the name of a colleague who refused to cooperate when he fired her illegally. He sent an e-mail to all the member firms to tell them never to work with her. She found the e-mail on his computer and it was cited as evidence during the court case which she duly won.

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Self-defence May 7, 2013

Dear Frederik,
as an agency owner, I can tell you that I do not know of a formalized place.

But for reasons of self-defence, I can tell you that there is some exchange in closed groups e.g. on Facebook. Translators who don't know their subject are like a plague, why should agencies not exchanging some info about the black sheeps in the translation world.

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In my case it's about general household appliances translations May 7, 2013

Thank you for the insight information Siefried. In my case, it was about the agency being very unclear in her communication with me during a long-time. One time, I was asked to complete a larger project and the deadline was stated as a weekday only (no date). Because of the large volume, I assumed the deadline was next week. So I said I could do the job. But the deadline was the same week, the agency assumed I could translate close to 10,000 words per day "because the contents was very general and the same as it usually is". 10,000 words with some fuzzy matches in a TM I didn't know too much about (sometimes the quality on the TM has been very bad).

I am just concerned how much power an agency has to communicate bad reviews based on false facts to fellow agencies. Are there only a few areas that are critical in this respect, as you point out, not knowing the subject and a few others?

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Not a big issue May 7, 2013

I would not worry too much. Agencies are normally very careful about the information they give to other agencies. Just see it from their position. Information regarding good translators is often kept like a secret and information about bad translators is not circulated either (they will harm the competition, why should we warn them). All exchange is very informal and extremely limited in "reach".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any places online where agencies can leave and read negative feedback about translators?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search