Invoicing and PayPal: is it common practice among translation companies?
Thread poster: Studio Moderna

Studio Moderna
Local time: 09:14
May 9, 2013

As a company that will need translators in the future, we need to make sure to justify costs of translations with invoices.
Is it common practice to do business with invoicing and PayPal?
How do you deduct taxes?

Direct link Reply with quote

Shelagh Wilson  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
Member (2007)
+ ...
PayPal is very common May 9, 2013

Hello Petra,

Translators deal with clients all around the world, often in many different currencies, so we have to accept payment in whichever form is the most advantageous for us and/or our clients. Within Europe, bank transfers are normally either free or cheap, so that's the best method. Outside of Europe, it depends on where the two parties are. PayPal can be very expensive, particularly for large sume, but it is quick and easy. So, yes, many of us, maybe the majority of us, have PayPal accounts.

As for invoicing, I imagine we all have to provide legal invoices for both our clients and for our own country's tax authorities. Again, that is not linked to PayPal, though I believe you can actually send a PayPal invoice. I know that as far as the Spanish and French authorities are concerned (countries where I have experience), the only essential things are a couple of numbers (tax reference; invoice number; date...).

Tax is not connected with payment method at all - we are taxed on our income by our relevant authorities, often at the end of the tax year. Tax varies very much from country to country but rarely involves our clients in any way.

Does that help?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing and PayPal: is it common practice among translation companies?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search