Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 22, 2013

With all the talk about stolen CVs, I did some searching on Google and was surprised to find that other translators had stolen copy from my Proz profile page and are using it on their page.

While flattered that they deemed my writing worthy of theft, I notified the offenders and threatened to contact ProZ support if this text is not removed.

Although I do not care, I found it amusing that in at least one instance the person even copied all of my keywords from my profile page (including words in languages that are not part of this person's language pairs).

[Edited at 2013-05-22 18:53 GMT]

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:58
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Stealing without being ashamed May 22, 2013

I used the free online tool
http://www.copyscape.com/
long ago to find out that my website had been plagiarised by a colleague who offers copywriting services. Doesn't copywriting mean that you're able to steal without anybody noticing? I wrote them an e-mail ages ago but they are still using enough of my intellectual property to be caught by Copyscape.

Cheers,
Gerard

Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:58
German to English
Vanity publishing May 22, 2013

I suppose it is part of my personal vanity that I have yet to see anything written by another translator that was worthy of stealing. But I live in hopes...

Steve K.

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 02:58
English to Spanish
My CV was stolen from Proz... May 22, 2013

...but they forgot to delete my name and phone number; however, the email was not mine.

I emailed these people asking them to publish my email too, just to be completely fair, don't you think so?

Unfortunately, they deleted my whole CV immediately. (Bad luck!)

icon_lol.gif

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Deliberate mistake May 23, 2013

I've had "interllectual property" lifted (ie not my identity) and was able to identify it easily because it included a deliberate (?!) mistake, making it far easier to establish the plagiarism. Not just a thief but a lazy one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators who plagarize

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search