Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 05:41
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 31, 2013

Hello,

I am not sure if I can post names or links here, but I would really appreciate your input regarding the message I got today via ProZ.com directory. Basically, it was an offer to register on a certain translation services website and start working with them (for them?) straight away. The idea itself is rather attractive: you log into your translator's account, browse the 'jobs' in your language pair and translate the ones you feel like translating - right there, online, without entering into any correspondence, getting POs or needing confirmations. Each job has a certain 'price' which is displayed in the job description. All the jobs you complete add up and once a month you get paid via PPal or Skrill.

I mean, it sounds nice and easy, but what's the catch? Why I am reluctant to trust this very attractive (you work at your own pace and rate) offer? Anybody heard of this model before?

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:41
Hebrew to English
Hmmm, something smells fishy... May 31, 2013

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
the same stuff today May 31, 2013

exactly the same offer.
too attractive to be true.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:11
English to Hindi
+ ...
No, that is not how it functions May 31, 2013

Alexandra Schneeuhr wrote:
I mean, it sounds nice and easy, but what's the catch? Why I am reluctant to trust this very attractive (you work at your own pace and rate) offer? Anybody heard of this model before?

No, you don't work at your pace and rate, but very much at their pace and rate.

A number of platforms offer services on similar lines. I work with a few and the experience has not been bad.

However, the operating principles are not how you have understood them. Working at your pace does not mean you take up a job and complete it whenever you please. All jobs come with strict, but reasonable deadlines, your freedom is limited to accepting or not accepting those deadlines. If you accept, you have deliver on the stated deadline.

Same is true of the price. You can't charge whatever your rates are, but each job has an indicated rate and your freedom, again, is limited to either accepting that rate or not. Usually your rates are fixed before you start receiving jobs at the time of signing the agreement with them. These rates are generally low.

The jobs are usually simple and preprocessed, in the sense that you have to work on their online tool. So no hassles about setting up TMs, etc.

Payments are quick and timely and come usually within a week or at the end of each month, or you can withdraw whenever sufficient amounts have accumulated in your account.

My advice is that you should use such services only as a back up for lean periods and when you have the capacity to take up additional work.

KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 04:41
Russian to German
+ ...
Are you sure you'd work at your own rate? May 31, 2013

I occasionally take on work from a company that works like this. With them, the catch is that the rates are pre-set and quite low. Also, the workflow isn't as constant as they like to advertise, with many "jobs" that consist of only a couple of words - most times without any context - and a jobs/translators ratio that makes it nigh impossible to pick up a job before somebody else does. The company I talk about aren't scammers: I've received payment from them without any problems, and also the staff is extremely friendly and handles support requests quickly and professionally. I check their jobs page every now and again and have translated the odd text for them, but I've found they can't be considered a real source of income due to the low rates and lack of real assignments with higher wordcounts that would make translating for them worth my while.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:41
Hebrew to English
Same thing? May 31, 2013

Marie-Helene just pointed out the similarity on the other thread, so I'm continuing her work here...

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/250103-job_offer_—_working_online_for_points_which_are_then_cashed.html

Alexandra Schneeuhr  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Similar May 31, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Marie-Helene just pointed out the similarity on the other thread, so I'm continuing her work here...

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/250103-job_offer_—_working_online_for_points_which_are_then_cashed.html

Yes, it seems to be the same company.
And thanks a lot for all your posts and opinions!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Who knows what's the catch? There may be none... May 31, 2013

Alexandra Schneeuhr wrote:
You log into your translator's account, browse the 'jobs' in your language pair and translate the ones you feel like translating - right there, online, without entering into any correspondence, getting POs or needing confirmations. Each job has a certain 'price' which is displayed in the job description.

Why I am reluctant to trust this very attractive (you work at your own pace and rate) offer?

The two catches that I can think of are:

1. The work is first come, first served, so you have to be lucky enough to be the first one to notice an available job. On the other hand, you've got nothing to lose, but a potential job to gain.
2. If you have to use their online tool, then that tool may not be as efficient as your own tool.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Message sent via ProZ.com...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search