Translators beware: banned agency offers a music notation software localization job
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov

Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 10, 2013

This is just a heads-up for fellow translators. This morning I received an offer from an agency to localize a leading music notation software suite. They were seeking "a team of 3-5 experienced Russian translators who are familiar with music notation and music theory". The offer came to the email address that is published on my website (not here). I searched for this agency on the BlueBoard and saw that it was banned from publishing jobs at ProZ.com and was a repeated non-payer. So in case somebody reads forums but forgets to check BlueBoard, I'm publishing this.

[Edited at 2013-06-10 07:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Artem Jun 10, 2013

Please remember to submit a ticket and provide the site staff with necessary data, so that the outsourcer's address could be blocked.

Thank you,
Natalia

Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some guidance needed Jun 10, 2013

Natalie wrote:

Please remember to submit a ticket and provide the site staff with necessary data, so that the outsourcer's address could be blocked.

Thank you,
Natalia

I will do it, but I need some guidance first. By a ticket, do you mean a support request? What subject should I use then - "Jobs" or "Report abuse"? Does it matter that the offer didn't come directly via ProZ.com?

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Contacting you... Jun 10, 2013

... privately to provide some explanations.

Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sent the data Jun 10, 2013

Natalie wrote:

... privately to provide some explanations.

I have sent you the data.

Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Thank you, Artem Jun 10, 2013

I confirm that this address has been blocked long ago, so they are unable to use it to contact ProZ.com users.

Estonia
Member (2012)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would be great to warn the potential end clients Jun 10, 2013

Thank you Natalia.

By the way, I wonder if we should warn the potential end clients about the payment practices of this outsourcer. I can think of two prominent music notation software vendors that could be involved here (I believe that "the leading music notation software product" comes from one of them). However, I'm not sure what would be the correct and ethical way to do it.

[Edited at 2013-06-10 09:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators beware: banned agency offers a music notation software localization job

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search