Translation of a film script - grant needed
Thread poster: Maria Wiltshire

Maria Wiltshire  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
Member (2016)
English to Russian
Jul 2, 2013

I am being asked to translate a film script. The author, however, does not have the means to pay me and is asking to apply for a grant. Does anyone know if there is practice of applying for grants a translation of a film script? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:23
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jul 3, 2013

There are grants for translation but not all countries give grants. For example, Spain isn't giving grants for the translation of Spanish books but the French Institute is (albeit only to publishers - not to authors or translators). The Writer's Guild of Norway is giving grants to promote Norwegian film/drama outside Norway but only if there is interest in place from a producer in another country of an already established Norwegian series/film.
I would tread carefully if I were you to avoid wasting time with this because a client with no money is not much good to a professional.

United Kingdom
Local time: 20:23
Member (2006)
English to French

There are grants available but it takes ages (6-1 year).
It's up to the Author/Editor/Producer to fund their project, not you.

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:23
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, there are grants in many countries for movies -- usually artistic movies and documentaries -- Jul 3, 2013

not just any movie. It is hard to get them, and it takes quite long, at least half a year. It is also the producer of the movie who should apply for the grant so the script can be translated, and the movie subtitled -- not the translator. Tell him to apply for the grant himself, if he is convinced that his movie has any chances for a grant. He can also take a loan -- this is much easier.

[Edited at 2013-07-03 10:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of a film script - grant needed

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search