https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/254276-what_is_the_customary_quotes.html

What is the customary quotes
Thread poster: Dana David Kogan
Dana David Kogan
Dana David Kogan  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:26
Romanian to Hebrew
+ ...
Aug 11, 2013

Greetings everyone,
I was asked for a translation quote of about 17 hand written diaries from Romanian to Hebrew.
The potential client is interested to start with the first one consisting of about 70 written pages.

This is my first such job. I worked mostly on printed material.
Taking a look on just 1 page I realized the many involved stages through the translation process up to a mirroring eloquent result.

Here are the stages:
1 - converting the
... See more
Greetings everyone,
I was asked for a translation quote of about 17 hand written diaries from Romanian to Hebrew.
The potential client is interested to start with the first one consisting of about 70 written pages.

This is my first such job. I worked mostly on printed material.
Taking a look on just 1 page I realized the many involved stages through the translation process up to a mirroring eloquent result.

Here are the stages:
1 - converting the handwritten material to a typed one probably by a voice recognition program or photocopying it and converting to typed files. (around 70 hand written pages)
2 - proofreading of the source language as converted files (at least 1/3 less pages)
3 - translating, (probably around 40-50 pp)
4 - proofreading and editing to the final desired form (which have not been yet established) I presume the same pp amount.

If anyone is experienced in such work, will happily accept suggestion for shortening the process.

Should I charge per page or a nominated sum?
What are the customary quotes for both options ?

Thank you all,
Dana
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Why all the rigmarole? Aug 11, 2013

1 - converting the handwritten material to a typed one probably by a voice recognition program or photocopying it and converting to typed files. (around 70 hand written pages)
2 - proofreading of the source language as converted files (at least 1/3 less pages)
3 - translating, (probably around 40-50 pp)
4 - proofreading and editing to the final desired form (which have not been yet established)

Translating handwritten texts is exactly the same as translating printed ones, except you may want to charge extra if it's difficult to read.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:26
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Unless client requests it, why do conversion? Aug 12, 2013

It adds so much work. I would charge either per hour or per target word. In both cases it should be possible to translate one page, to check how much would it cost the client in order to give some estimate. Of course rate per target word should reflect extra work resulting from deciphering handwriting.

Best Regards
S

Dana David Kogan
Israel
Romanian to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 12, 2013

Thank you both, Stanislaw and Phil.
for you time and opinions.

It helped getting a clearer idea how to approach the project.

Dana

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Please bear in mind Aug 12, 2013

that you will have to look at a given page, read the sentence, and then type the translation. It will be 2-3 times more slowly compared to usual translation process.

I would hire a typist to make up an electronic copy of these docs (I don`t think it is too expensive). Then you can do the translation as usual, i.e. electronically.

I believe that is the best way out.

Dana David Kogan
Israel
Romanian to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is why... Aug 12, 2013

......had similar thoughts Vadim,
unfortunately i do not know any Romanian speaking typist, therefor according to the page I've already seen a conversion to typed writing will be necessary.

Meanwhile I asked the client of the budget she has in mind.

Thank you very much for understanding the problematic reality here
Dana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the customary quotes

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »