Should I put the fact that I have E&O insurance (professional liability insurance) on my website?
Thread poster: conejo
conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 7, 2004

Hello. I have just gotten this insurance, but I was wondering if I should or should not put it on my website and/or ProZ profile page. A good thing about putting it on there would be to assure clients that I am covered. However, it's possible that it could work in the opposite way: clients might think that I am unsure of my abilities and thus need insurance??? (which is not the case--it is mostly for peace of mind.) Any advice? Thanks.

[Edited at 2004-10-07 15:54]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I agree compelety! Oct 7, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I might be interpreted in both way.
I saw even some outsourcers requiring such an insurance from their translators. But on the other hand that insurance only provide coverage for you against your possible errors and ommisions etc delivered to them.
Unless it is asked need not advertise you had a insurance policy but when they ask such things you may give details.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 10:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with others' good responses Oct 7, 2004

Greetings.

May I agree with others' good responses.

If the firm asks if you carry E&O insurance, it's fine to respond positvely and you might also ask what has been that firm's experience such that that type of question is included during your initial discussion to develop a business relationship.

FWIW, that question of E&O coverage has more relevance and utility than flailing around with questions about one's "certification" or "registration" by authioriti
... See more
Greetings.

May I agree with others' good responses.

If the firm asks if you carry E&O insurance, it's fine to respond positvely and you might also ask what has been that firm's experience such that that type of question is included during your initial discussion to develop a business relationship.

FWIW, that question of E&O coverage has more relevance and utility than flailing around with questions about one's "certification" or "registration" by authiorities outside the location of the requester, as those questions can be spurious vis-a-vis your proven business model and your portfolio of satisfied customers that are available as referrals.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
English to Dutch
+ ...
I wouldn't Oct 7, 2004

conejo wrote:

Hello. I have just gotten this insurance, but I was wondering if I should or should not put it on my website and/or ProZ profile page.
[Edited at 2004-10-07 15:54]

IMHO and experience: Mentioning this kind of insurance is definitely asking for problems. Clients might want to know your insurance number "just in case" and in the long run create such a "case", or even shun your services like the plague....

conejo
conejo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:05
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, all. Oct 7, 2004

When I was sending out resumes I did run into one agency that sent me back a letter, saying that they require E&O insurance for all translators. That seemed strange at the time.

I'm glad everyone seems to agree. I won't put it on there. Thanks, everybody.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I put the fact that I have E&O insurance (professional liability insurance) on my website?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »